South Texas Jalapeno Wheat-extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panamax4

Reaction score
First off, I've been lurking and soaking up information on the forum for quite a while and would like to thank everyone that contributes.

I live in South Texas and am interested in designing a regional beer. I live in the coastal bend region of Texas very near the Rio Grande Valley. The region is known for the fusion of Mexican and southern food and culture, incredibly hot temperatures and Rio Grande Valley citrus. With this background in mind I began jotting down ideas for a regional beer. I determined there are a few things I would like to incorporate into this recipe.

First, I determined that a wheat beer would serve two purposes: 1) It will be light and refreshing on hot days in the Texas summer and 2) it will pair nicely with a slice of Rio Grande Valley Valencia Orange or Navel Orange.

Second, as hot as the weather is down here we still love spicy food. The Jalapeno is a constant on in south Texas dinner plate and I decided it needed to be incorporated into the beer. I want the beer to be very drinkable so after reading around the internet forums for hours I decided to use half a Jalapeno in the boil and another half in secondary. The kicker is the second jap will be grilled over wood along with some cebola dulce(sweet onion) to incorporate a bit of bbq flavor into the recipe. I am hoping this process will result in jap flavor up front with just a touch of heat on finish.

I decided on saaz bittering hops in order to have a crisp slightly bitter beer for those hot August days. I thought of Cascade and Amarillo hops for flavor and aroma to further increase drinkability and introduce more citrus flavor.

What I have so far is listed below. I am very open to suggestion as this is the first theme recipe Ive done. Please feel free to tear the recipe apart if you feel it necessary. It would also be a huge plus if I could incorporate some aspect of ice tea, another south Texas must, in someway that doesnt detract from the beer. Maybe just appearance and color of the beer would be nice for this? Anyways thanks for the read if you made it this far!:mug:

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated IBU: 20.8 IBUs Boil Time: 60 Minutes

6 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
1 lbs Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM)
0.75 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min
0.50 Items jalapeno (Boil 60.0 mins)
0.50 Items grilled jalapeno w/ onion Secondary

1.0 pkg Hefeweizen IV Ale (White Labs #WLP380)

I like where you're going with this, but I would be concerned about introducing undesirable bacteria with your secondary additions. Plus, you might want to do some research about throwing veggies into the boil...if it were me doing this I honestly would just throw the seeds in. Unless...you sterilized/soaked the jalapeños and/or the onions in vodka and added that? That may work even with the roasted jalapeños, though I would skin 'em after roasting, before soaking.

Latest posts

Back