Yeast washing results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovesIPA

Reaction score
I kegged an IPA on 2/10/13 and I washed the yeast. I ended up with 6 pint-sized mason jars of washed yeast in the fridge. I had been making starters out of them and it was working fine. Yesterday, I had a wild hair and decided to brew at the last minute. As I was mashing the grain, it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't made a starter. All I had was one last remaining pint jar of yeast in the back of the fridge that was almost a month old.

Well it was obviously too late to back out of brewing so I took the yeast out and set it on the counter to get to room temp. Worst case, it wouldn't take off and I would have to re-pitch.

After I brewed and racked the wort into the primary, I shook the jar up really good and poured the whole thing in, trub and all. I figured that I would need all the active yeast out of the jar that I could get.

That was yesterday at around 3:00. There was still no airlock activity by the time I went to bed but that didn't bother me much. I got up this morning and it was bubbling away.

So no more yeast starters! All I need to ferment a 5 gallon batch is a pint-sized jar of washed yeast which is good for at least a month after it's been washed.

:ban: :ban: :ban:

Just because it's fermenting doesn't mean you pitched the appropriate amount of healthy yeast to ensure the optimal fermentation.

Just because it's fermenting doesn't mean you pitched the appropriate amount of healthy yeast to ensure the optimal fermentation.

Valid. I will keep the thread updated with results.

OG at pitching was 1.062. I'll take another reading in a week or so.

Back