Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2. I read a few pages back about preserving the wine and killing off the yeast, is this necessary for extended aging ... say like a year or so?
For extended aging (6 mo+), I'd probably add some metabisulfate (potassium/sodium) to kill off the yeast and add some perservative properties.

3. If Im going to carb up some, I don't need to worry about any of that right?
Right. If you're going to carb it up, you don't want to kill off the yeast, as they are what makes the carbonation for you.

I made some of Ed's Apfelwein today using 6 gallons of apple juice and 2 1# paks of Dextrose. Montrachet yeast. Anyone try this? estimated ABV?

Thanks

For extended aging (6 mo+), I'd probably add some metabisulfate (potassium/sodium) to kill off the yeast and add some perservative properties.

Thanks, is there a certain time I should do this? I'm three weeks in to my first batch. Should I add it now, stir it up and then wait a week for it to clear? Do I need to add any finning (is that the right word?) agent, like you do with wine? Also, should I degas to serve still? If I don't will it still be okay to bottle in regular wine bottles? Id like to bottle this batch up and serve still and I just finished making up a second batch that Im going to keg and carb up to see the difference ... sorry for all the questions, noob here, lol.

Thanks!

my 1st batch is almost two weeks old. I can't wait to bottle! I didn't take an og or anything, i just know it's alcoholic and according to everyone be careful drinking it.

yeaaaaaaaaa buddy this stuff chugs like plain old juice but it goes straight to your hEAD! love it

Beer guy here. I've got apfelwein in my better bottle and I am planning out what to bottle it in. I have a lot of wine bottles and thought that may be nice to put it in and give some away at Christmas time. I don't have any corking equipment. I was looking at one of the mini corkers from midwest. I found information on them that they work well for 7s and 8s but not recommended for 9s. I probably won't do wine so I don't want to shell out money for a big corker-yet and $5 seems like a small risk to try.
Anybody try a mini corker with 9s?
If I get 8s, will they work for apfelwein?
Would you store apfelwein with the cork so it is wet or up vertical?

Beer guy here. I've got apfelwein in my better bottle and I am planning out what to bottle it in. I have a lot of wine bottles and thought that may be nice to put it in and give some away at Christmas time. I don't have any corking equipment. I was looking at one of the mini corkers from midwest. I found information on them that they work well for 7s and 8s but not recommended for 9s. I probably won't do wine so I don't want to shell out money for a big corker-yet and $5 seems like a small risk to try.
Anybody try a mini corker with 9s?
If I get 8s, will they work for apfelwein?
Would you store apfelwein with the cork so it is wet or up vertical?

Its simple. - Store them wet or use a special cork that doesn't require them to be wet. I have never used them, just read about it an know they are available.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/wine-bottling.html

Nomacorc Corks. Highly elastic, polymer-based synthetic #9 by 1.5 inch wine corks manufactured by a patented extrusion process, resulting in a small, uniform, closed-cell structure that acts as a superior long-term barrier to oxidation and leakage and will never mold or taint. Like other synthetic corks, Nomacorcs will not impart off-flavors to wine, and will not break or disintegrate. Normacorcs insert and remove smoothly and allow for upright or horizontal storage of bottles immediately after corking. Any type of corkscrew can be used to pull a Nomacorc, but we recommend a corker with an iris mechanism (like our floor corker) for best results when inserting Nomacorcs in bottles.

So my first batch got bottled tonight everything went smooth and it tasted pretty darn good already.. Only problem is that i forgot to take an OG reading. I used 5 gallons Safeway Brand Apple Juice and 2 lbs. dextrose just like the orig recipe calls for, could somebody please give me an estimated starting gravity so I can figure out how potent this stuff is? thanks!

I used Kirkland brand juice from Cosco but I'm not sure if it matters that much.My OG was 1.062.

This weekend I found a good deal on carboys from craigslist so naturally I decided to make me 3 varying batches of apfelwine.

Batch 1 - Original recipe treetop juice from concentrate with an OG of about 1.068
Batch 2 - Treetop juice from concentrate with a pound of medium brownsugar, pound of honey, and boiled some cloves with it. OG 1.068 (same yeast as original recipe.
Batch 3 - Kirkland Sig Juice NOT from concentrate, upped the dextrose a bit, and used Cuvee yeast. OG 1.08

So far they are lookin good! Course now I gotta figure out how to get 15 empty jugs of applejuice into my recycling bin.

My apfelwein was ready on the 8th March. We've had a little of it but I found it way too dry for my (and most other people's taste). I couldn't drink much of it before the dryness got to me. I'll sample it again and then probably throw the rest if it's no good.

Would using a different yeast be a solution? I have some Nottingham yeast instead.

It's still in the Better Bottle. I've done nothing with it.

Just had some. It still tastes dry but not as much as I remember it.

My apfelwein was ready on the 8th March. We've had a little of it but I found it way too dry for my (and most other people's taste). I couldn't drink much of it before the dryness got to me. I'll sample it again and then probably throw the rest if it's no good.

Would using a different yeast be a solution? I have some Nottingham yeast instead.

How old was it on March 8th? I first sampled mine at about 6 weeks and it was incredibly dry with very little apple flavor. Now, at ~4 months, it has a much different (and better) flavor. Don't dump it; put it in the back of the closet and forget about it for a while.

It was four weeks on March 8th. Just tried it on today which should make it in the seventh week. Not much of an apple taste at all and still quite dry but not quite as dry as it was.

Just give it time UK, the apple flavor won't start coming back for several months, and at that point the dryness will still be there but the bite from it will be much more mellow.

Can anyone give a straight reading on tree top on it's own as I'd like to take a reading on what I can source locally for juices.

OK, so sorry in advance. I tried to search but didn't really find anything. I am sure within the 475 the answers are here but once I got to page 53 I had to stop.

I am going to bottle this still......do I need to do anything in order to do that? ie, add something to kill the yeast? I hope not as I want to bottle on Friday and don't have anything in stock to do so.

Hey Everyone.

As many people have mentioned...this recipe finally kicked me over the edge into homebrewing. This recipe was simple enough to let me get the feel of all the basics..and excited about future possibilities.

1 Gallon batch made in the glass jug of organic apple juice (Capers-Vancouver BC)
IG: 1.070
Temp: 23 Degrees C. (Celsius)

Cant upload a pic...but soon ill get a paid membership so I can!

J

OK, so sorry in advance. I tried to search but didn't really find anything. I am sure within the 475 the answers are here but once I got to page 53 I had to stop.

I am going to bottle this still......do I need to do anything in order to do that? ie, add something to kill the yeast? I hope not as I want to bottle on Friday and don't have anything in stock to do so.

I'm sure it has been covered before but like I said it is a lot to leaf through 400+ pages.

No. Just bottle with corn sugar as you would any other brew you might bottle.

I'm not sure if your talking to me or not but if you are. I was asking about bottling it still(not carbed) so I wouldn't need corn sugar. I just want to make sure I do not need to add anything to stop the yeast once it is bottled still. I think I can just go ahead and bottle but want to make sure before I actually bottle it.

If you don't do anything to it, it will likely be mildly sparkling, but it shouldn't pop any corks (mine hasn't, and it's been bottled for 3 months now).

If you don't do anything to it, it will likely be mildly sparkling, but it shouldn't pop any corks (mine hasn't, and it's been bottled for 3 months now).

Ok great. Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to kill of the yeast or anything.

if the yeast is done there should be no sparkling or carbonation at all . The bottles I have from April of 08 are completely flat no fizz at all.

Anyone? 12345

I have let it sit for 4 weeks no ill effects.

After about 5 weeks my first batch of Apfelwein was crystal clear and came in at 1.001. I drank the sample jar and WOW! This stuff is gonna be great!

It is in the Keg and will debut at our National Homebrew Day Bacon and Beer Fest next month.

Mine wont ever clear (did 4 gals apple 1 gal pomegranate) and its been sitting there 2 months. I dont have an empty keg yet for it so i was going to let it sit longer...should I just bottle?

Okay quick question about this stuff. I made a 2.5 gallon batch, let it ferment down to 1.002 (about 4 weeks) then bottled, half of them are carbed, the other half arent. My question is this, the carbed ones have been bottled now for 3 weeks and i popped one open last night, and omg it was horrible. It tasted like watered down, sour club soda. Really no flavor at all other than sour. Any thoughts on this?

the carbed ones have been bottled now for 3 weeks and i popped one open last night, and omg it was horrible. It tasted like watered down, sour club soda. Really no flavor at all other than sour. Any thoughts on this?

Drink three more and call me in the morning :D

Seriously.....have a few and tell me you don't like it.

so thats what its supposed to taste like to a newbie drinker of apfelwein? Just wondering myself... im gonna bottle mine april 25th and wait til june 12th to drink at camping brewfest

When it's young, that description is not too far off. It does get better with age.... non carbed begins to taste like a good white wine and carbed leans toward a hard cider kind of thing. Not too far off of a strongbow. YMMV

Back