The Grain to the Water or the Water to the Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put the water in first, so I can check the temperature after the tun warms up. If you stir well, it really doesn't matter.

If you add the water (or at least some of the water) first, then the weight of the grains is supported by the water, and it considerably reduces the possibility of a stuck sparge. At least thats my experience when using a false bottom.

-a.

ajf said:
If you add the water (or at least some of the water) first, then the weight of the grains is supported by the water, and it considerably reduces the possibility of a stuck sparge. At least thats my experience when using a false bottom.

-a.

Yep, add some "foundation water" to a level a few inches above your false bottom, then add some grain, then some water, then some grain, you get the picture.

I have two stainless t-valves that are heavy and they keep the false bottom held down very nicely. Something to think about...

I find grain to water gives better results, Im more likely to hit the correct mash temperature first time or if I dont it tends to require less adjustment.
Never thought about the mechanics of it though.

I did one yesterday and tried the grain to water. Well that could have been bad since I almost put too much water in for the size of my tun. I guess thats just experience with my equipment.

i put a gallon or so of hot water into the tun to pre-warm it, then i dump it out before the addition of the strike water.... don't lose so much heat to the transfer when i start the mash. my grandma taught me that with a lunch thermos ages ago.

then i prefer water in, then slowly stir the grain in.

I must be the odd guy, my tun is set up to fill from the bottom. I mill the grain into the tun then open the valve on the HLT to add the water. (The tun does have a false bottom.) Usually by the time half the water is in the tun the grain bed is starting to lift or float.

jim:mug:

I have had better luck in hitting my strike temps with grain to water. I am not sure why ,maybe someone can enlighten us on the thermal dynamics of both.

Latest posts

Back