What are some of your ingredient staples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugh_Jass

Reaction score
What brewing ingredients do you always keep in stock at your home ? types of specialty grains, DME, yeasts, hops,?

Thanks in advance.

Extract: Briess Gold DME.

Grain: Briess 2-row pale malt, Weyermann Vienna, Weyermann Light Munich, Muntons Pale Malt, Simpsons Medium Crystal (55L), Simpsons Chocolate, Simpsons Roasted Barley.

Yeast: Nottingham, US-05, S-04

Hops: Willamette, Hallertau (both pellets). I try to keep Target on hand, but it's impossible to find these days.

Cheers!

Bob

Extract: Briess Gold DME.

Grain: Briess 2-row pale malt, Weyermann Vienna, Weyermann Light Munich, Muntons Pale Malt, Simpsons Medium Crystal (55L), Simpsons Chocolate, Simpsons Roasted Barley.

Yeast: Nottingham, US-05, S-04

Hops: Willamette, Hallertau (both pellets). I try to keep Target on hand, but it's impossible to find these days.

Cheers!

Bob
Thanks Bob,
How much or the DME, Grain, Yeast, and Hops? I plan on doing mini mashes for the next few batches if that makes a difference.
Regards

Williamette, american c-hops, and saaz.

US-05. I tried making S-04 a go-to yeast but I don't like it as much as I thought I would. Now I'm stocked with 05 and notty.

I prefer Rahr 2-row (USA) as my base malt, and sometimes I use it for english styles.

I love using chocolate, black patent, and caramel malts.

Thanks Bob,
How much or the DME, Grain, Yeast, and Hops? I plan on doing mini mashes for the next few batches if that makes a difference.
Regards

Let's see if I can remember without referring to ProMash's inventory or taking my lazy ass downstairs.

I've still got about a half-pound of each hops. I got a screaming great deal in bulk, you see. ;)

DME, I keep at least three pounds. Never know when you'll need a pound to make up for a screwed-up mash.

Grain, at least five pounds of pale and a half-pound each of the rest. When I go below a half-pound, I go get another pound.

Yeast, 1 packet of each in my fridge, though there's usually two packets of Nottingham.

Cheers!

Bob

Most people seem to keep a DME of their choice

I also buy big containers of stuff I know I will have to use to save a litlle money. Big botlle of star san, rather than small. A ton of corn sugar. Always way more Irish moss and gelatin finings than I can use in a year. Some emergency fuggles and EKG which I use up and replace with every order to keep them fresher.

Off the top of my head:

1 full 55# box of Extra Light and Wheat DME and 1 box of each to use. Once the last box is opened I order another. I currently also have an opened 50 lb bag of Corn Sugar.

About 15 lbs of assorted grains (for steeping)

4-5 lbs of assorted hops, mostly re-bagged into 1 oz packettes.

(At a minimum) 50 vials of assorted yeasts in at least 10 styles, some new, mostly washed. I still have about a quart of Belgium Wit yeast I have to put into vials...I'll probably only do 3-4 vials and toss the rest.

2 gals of honey.

5 gals Apple Juice.

At least one packet of dried yeast - Nottingham or Safeale-05 just in cast the liquid yeasties do not cooperate when I am ready to pitch.

As far as base malts go, I always have Maris Otter, 2-row and Pils on hand. I buy full sacks of MO and 2-row, and usually 10-20 lbs of Pils at a time. I keep around 5 lbs of crystal and other speciality grain on hand- but only a pound or two of things like roasted barley, black patent, aromatic, etc.

Minimum 3 lbs of DME, mostly for starters and the occasional adjustment to a wonky mash.

On last tally, I have about 6 lbs of hops in stock- American Cs, Golding, Fuggle, Williamette.

Always have 5 or so packs of US-05, US-04 and Nottingham as well, in addition to my washed English, Irish, Scottish and Belgian strains.

I buy bulk bags of Maris Otter, US 2 Row, and German Pils. Then I keep a lot of Vienna, Munich, Carapils, and Crystal 40. For Hops I have about 10 different varieties. All pellets. Yeast S-05 is my stand by dry yeast and I tend to buy liquid the week I need them, if I need them.

Staples that I would be dead in the water without include: Maris Otter malt, Crystal 40 malt, Chocolate Malt, Willamette hops, and US-05 yeast.

I could drink beer based off of those three malts and be happy for a while.

I do have over 30 lbs in specialty malts, 100 lbs of base malts, about 5 pounds in misc hops and enough packs of US-05, S-04, and Nottingham to brew the styles I like in stock because it's a LONG drive to my (not so) LHBS.

What brewing ingredients do you always keep in stock at your home ? types of specialty grains, DME, yeasts, hops,?

Thanks in advance.

Grains: Usually purchased in 5# bags
Maris Otter pale malt (for my base malt) - 55# bag
Either crystal 40 or 60 for my light crystal
Crystal 120 and/or Special B for some darker crystal
Chocolate malt
Roasted Barley

Yeast:
US-05
S-04
Nottingham

Hops:
cascades
Willamette
Chinook
Centennial
Fuggles and/or EKG

Sugars:
DME for starters and as a gravity boost when necessary
Corn sugar for priming

Others:
Bottle caps
Irish Moss
PBW
StarSan
Ferm-cap

Craig

So here's a summary:

Grain:
Maris Otter
2 Row Pale
Vienna
Light Munich
Chocolate
Roasted Barley
Black Patent
Caramel
Pils
Maris Otter
Crystal 40
Crystal 120

Extract:
Breiss Gold DME
extra light DME
wheat DME

Yeast
US 05
US 04

Hops
Williamette
Hallertau
Saaz
American
Golding
Fuggle
Cascade

I'd like to take a few of these and keep them as "necessaries". For the forseeable future, I plan on brewing "mini-mashes" with a combination of DME, LME, and grain. The lovely Mrs. Ohio and I both like the Amber Ale genre of beers. I can also see a stout or two in my future, too. We both aren't fans of wheat beers. Which of the ingredients would you recommend keeping on hand and which should I just pick up as needed.

Any advice in staple selection would be appreciated.

Thanks

I order most all my stuff from B3 and they have free shipping for orders over $59 and they are in a 1-2 day shipping local for me. So when I do an order I always order extra grain. I buy all my base malt from the local brewery here and seem to have 100# on hand at any given time. I keep honey malt cara malts loads of crystals and some select roast and brown malts. You’ll see you can collect quite a storage of malts and hops as you go. I would suggest if you don't have one get a good vacuum sealer early in the hobby, you’ll be glad you did.
Cheers

my LHBS stocks everything for me, but i generally use:

Base Malts:
Vienna Malt
Munich Malt
2-Row Malt
Pilsner Malt
Wheat Malt

Specialty Malts:
Chocolate Malt (i usually prefer british)
Crystal 40L
Crystal 50/60 (british)

hmm...i guess that's about it for my grains! i can make just about any beer with that.

Hops:
Northern Brewer
Tettnanger
Saaz
Fuggle
East Kent Golding
Styrian Golding

I have a lot more hops, but those are my favorites.

Nottingham is my go to yeast. I also keep WLP300 and WLP550 around quite a bit for hefeweizens and belgian beers.

Back