Carbonation and Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreezyBrew

IPA is my spirit animal
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Anyone found that they have the right carbonation, only to find after a few pours the beer seems flat? What's up with that?

No, but I have the first pint be a bit foamy due to a temperature gradient in the hoses. I do not have a fan to circulate the cold air, so the first 2' of my line is warmer.

Maybe you are actually undercarbonated? "After a few pints" makes me think you are actually drawing beer that is truly undercarbed. Line length, temp, configuration of lines (coiled at the top of the keg) could help.

Beer is at 37 degrees... Regulator is at about 8 PSI. Force carbed for 2 days at 20 psi, then knocked it down. It's a very light 4% pale ale, so I wouldn't think it would take that long to carb. My draft line is 10 ft.

After some more study, I guess it's not the fact that the beer isn't carbonated, it just looks flat. The first beer (which has the most head) has a lot more bubbles than subsequent pours. They all taste fine, and have the present CO2 stinging sensation.

After some more study, I guess it's not the fact that the beer isn't carbonated, it just looks flat. The first beer (which has the most head) has a lot more bubbles than subsequent pours. They all taste fine, and have the present CO2 stinging sensation.

The first pour has more head because the faucet is warm, which causes some of the CO2 to come out of solution. The thicker head is CO2 that came out of solution, so that first pour is actually slightly less carbed than the later pours. If you want the later pours to have the same head, hold the glass a little lower, or don't tilt it as much.

Back