Converted Chest freezer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrugCoder

Reaction score
I've been considering doing a conversion, and have been admiring all the conversions on this forum. However, One thing kind of surprises me. I've only seen one where someone has not just created a wooden collar, but covered the whole top and sides with wood to make it appear more as a bar than a converted freezer. Any reasons why more people are wanting to keep the look of the freezer over having a nicer looking stained wood? Just wondering....

modern chest freezers use the walls to transfer heat. If they are covered with wood, they can overheat. If the one you saw is the same one i am thinking of, he had to add a 1" airgap between the freezer walls and the wooden veneers. This will add overall size to the chest freezer. Also i believe he may have run a fan to pull air through the airgaps as well. This is a lot of extra work. I kept mine with the freezer look b/c i already have 3 white major appliances (stove/oven, refrigerator and dishwasher) in the kitchen, why not add a fourth?

Here is mine

Ditto on the heat problem. My kegger feeds cold air to the conditioning cabinet and I had to leave a large gap between them because the skin gets hot all the way around. And mine also sits next to the 'real' freezer.

That makes sense. I agree it's probably too much trouble for what it's worth. I like the panel mounted temp control on yours Atl300zx. Thanks for the responses.

By the way, I'm right up the road from you Atl300zx in Chattanooga.

DrugCoder said:
That makes sense. I agree it's probably too much trouble for what it's worth. I like the panel mounted temp control on yours Atl300zx. Thanks for the responses.

By the way, I'm right up the road from you Atl300zx in Chattanooga.

Ever in the Atlanta area and want to sample a homebrew or two, send me a PM. It would be nice to talk to someone "in real life" about homebrewing. Usually when i start talking about, my audience could care less. Of course my audience is usually my friends who only care about drinking beer, not making it.

Back