beginner questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xraptorx

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am keen to start brewing my own beer. I live in Switzerland and found a kit that seems to have what I need. It is made for "malz" brewing. What I understood about brewing from the Euro forums is there are 3 methods ranked in order of easiest to most difficult
1. Beer Kits (limits the flavour and easiest for beginners)
2. Malt Extract Brewing (more control and more variety in beers, but little more work).
3. Mais brewing (need to make your own mash - full control like a real brewery but requires hours of work).

I am keen to start with the kit for number 2. This should allow me to do super easy brews from the kits or to do malt extracts. I have a variety of questions still:

1. What is a good book for recipies and for finding out more about malt extract brewing?
2. Do you need to keep the brew at a specific temperature during fermentation? How do you typically keep it within range during the month long process?
3. Why is kegging considered better than bottles? Is it easier or cheaper?
4. What is the difference between the various kits (I have seen some for a few hundred with electic cookers included for malt extract and then some for over 2000)?
5. How long does the beer last for in bottles or in a keg?

Thanks

1. What is a good book for recipies and for finding out more about malt extract brewing?
2. Do you need to keep the brew at a specific temperature during fermentation? How do you typically keep it within range during the month long process?
3. Why is kegging considered better than bottles? Is it easier or cheaper?
4. What is the difference between the various kits (I have seen some for a few hundred with electic cookers included for malt extract and then some for over 2000)?
5. How long does the beer last for in bottles or in a keg?

Thanks

All of that information exist and is easy to find in 3 places.

On here, in the wiki and in www.howtobrew.com.

Quick answers
1. See answer above and have a quick look on Amazon.
2. Yes, it is yeast and style specific. , depends on your ambient temperature and how much time, effort and money you want to invest
3. It takes less time and effort. Not best if you have more of those than money.
4. They all make beer. Depends on you budget and if you can diy.
5. Between months and years. Most people consume it within several months unless it's a really big beer.

welcome :) I have been to switzerland... amazing place!

I dropped you a quick PM about some beer making videos etc.. let me know if you get it ok!

Best of luck with your brewing.

Back