My First Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbporr

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just brewed my first beer and wanted to walk through my process to see if you have suggestions.
  • I brewed a blonde ale, so pretty safe beer for my first time.
  • I cooked outside (VA, temp about 45 degrees outside) on my barbecue burner and it took a while to heat up the water, which was six gallons.
  • The directions told me to put the grains in right way and take them out before it reaches 170 degrees, but at 45 mins I took the grains out and the water wasn’t even 155 yet. I put the grains in for about 5 mins when it was at 160 because I read you should just keep them in there for 30 mins around that 160 temp.
  • After I mixed the malt in and added the hops, I left the cover on the pot for the most part because it was the only way it would boil, but I read that you shouldn’t leave it on because “bad” chemicals can’t escape.
  • As I mixed the Wort, I kept wondering whether I should scoop all the “muck” that build up on the sides and the bottom side of the cover while it was cooking. Should I push that stuff back in or let it sit along the sides?
  • All went good with putting in the fermenter, which is a plastic carboy. My only question is that during the fermentation, the temperature has been around 62 degrees. It seems to be fermenting fine, but I know this is on the low end. Any concerns and if so, suggestions?

That’s pretty much the questions I have. Please let me know if you have any advice/guidance. I love my new hobby!

All in all, I'd say it should be good. The lower fermentation number will payoff when it's time to drink it. Give it 3 weeks in the fermenter and 3 weeks to bottle condition and I'll bet you're happy.

Rick:mug:

You might find that the yeast do their cleanup better and end up with a lower Final Gravity if you let the beer warm up when the fermentation slows. I keep mine in the low 60's for about a week and then bring it to the low 70's for the next 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back