Victory + 2 Row = Marris Otter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagstout

Reaction score
Question,

Next weekend I am brewing Blacklabs "orange/cascade" ale. Is adding a bit of Victory malt along with using 2-Row a good subsitute for the Marris Otter he is using in his recipe?

Grain bill as follows for a 5 gallon batch:

9 lbs Maris Otter
1 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lbs Crystal Malt 10°L

I was thinking of adding 1/4 to 1/2 lb of victory to the grain bill. Am I on the right track?

Curious as to what this would do.

There is no substitute for MO or any other type of malt. I know that people use varieties in place of varieties to come to a "close" solution, but that is just it, a close solution.

Having said that it will be different than the beer you are trying to emulate, but it will be good none-the-less. You should be fine, as long as you are not expecting to be exactly like Blacklabs.

WW

All I had was rahr 2-row when I did this recipe and I think it is the best beer to date that I have done even with that huge change.

It will be a great beer no regardless given the other ingredients.

That is a great recipe!! I do make a similiar one Orange/ Summit. If you have some summit hops laying around you might give it a try. Just watch the Ibu calculations. :mug:

I talked with Blacklab and he reassured me that replacing the MO with just ONLY 2-Row still makes a great beer. Instead of trying to complicate things I am going to RDWHAHB!

Thanks guys

Back