Acceptable Homebrewing Sins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamilton

Reaction score
1) What is this mumbo-jumbo about a 2 liter starter? Really now? Here's the derivation of my question.

--- I have been doing this for quite a long time. I do make a starter, but it is a simple: bag of Wyeast, 1/2 cup of light malt extract (dry), 2 cups water, and yeast nutrients (yum). Every single time I have gotten immediate (after four hours from addition to wort) fermentation and very very aggressive fermentation. Ales will last maximum three days and FG is complete and consistently below "estimations" from brewing programs. Always - so brewing community, why...? Why 2 liters? Why even one? Why...

and the second, perhaps, acceptable sin?

2) Beers that require same hop additions to remain "consistent" with the style - for example: pilsners and Saaz - Being a financially responsible homebrewer, any penny saved is a penny used for a later brew. Now correct me if I am wrong, but boiling Saaz for 90 (even 60) minutes results in, well, very very little flavor addition. Just our desired bitterness. With the wonderful concept of international trade (and cross-breeding!), numerous other, high acid, low CoH hops have become available that will yield the desired bitterness but add very little to flavor making them ideal bittering hops - i'm going for Magnum (I'd even throw Simcoe out there in this categorization). So, in order to save a buck (in some cases with Pilsners more than just a buck) - what do ye say brewing community? An abomination to use Magnum as my pilsner bittering hop? Or generally accepted?

I have confessed my sins. Anyone else?

shamilton said:
1) What is this mumbo-jumbo about a 2 liter starter? Really now? Here's the derivation of my question.

--- I have been doing this for quite a long time. I do make a starter, but it is a simple: bag of Wyeast, 1/2 cup of light malt extract (dry), 2 cups water, and yeast nutrients (yum). Every single time I have gotten immediate (after four hours from addition to wort) fermentation and very very aggressive fermentation. Ales will last maximum three days and FG is complete and consistently below "estimations" from brewing programs. Always - so brewing community, why...? Why 2 liters? Why even one? Why...

and the second, perhaps, acceptable sin?

2) Beers that require same hop additions to remain "consistent" with the style - for example: pilsners and Saaz - Being a financially responsible homebrewer, any penny saved is a penny used for a later brew. Now correct me if I am wrong, but boiling Saaz for 90 (even 60) minutes results in, well, very very little flavor addition. Just our desired bitterness. With the wonderful concept of international trade (and cross-breeding!), numerous other, high acid, low CoH hops have become available that will yield the desired bitterness but add very little to flavor making them ideal bittering hops - i'm going for Magnum (I'd even throw Simcoe out there in this categorization). So, in order to save a buck (in some cases with Pilsners more than just a buck) - what do ye say brewing community? An abomination to use Magnum as my pilsner bittering hop? Or generally accepted?

I have confessed my sins. Anyone else?

Use what ever hops additions that you really like. That's what is great about brewing, it's incredibly personal. I know I use citrus flavors in my Heffewiesen and call it a Heffewiesen. To me it is, and it's the best darn Heffewiesen that I have ever drank. Speaking of the yeast, I use washed yeast from previous batches along with a cup of dme in two cups of water. I'm with you man, don't follow any norms for YOUR beer, it's all about how you like it!

Don't worry, Drink a Homebrew!

Use what ever hops additions that you really like. That's what is great about brewing, it's incredibly personal. I know I use citrus flavors in my Heffewiesen and call it a Heffewiesen. To me it is, and it's the best darn Heffewiesen that I have ever drank. Speaking of the yeast, I use washed yeast from previous batches along with a cup of dme in two cups of water. I'm with you man, don't follow any norms for YOUR beer, it's all about how you like it!

Don't worry, Drink a Homebrew!

I use citrus-flavor hops in my Heffewiesen too. You get that orange slice flavor, without actually using an orange slice on the glass. Frankly, I don't know why more people don't brew it like this. It works great.

You guys at least make starters... I usually take the lazy-man approach and just pitch the smack-pack. It's only really bitten me in the buttocks once, when a lager wouldn't start (I re-pitched ale yeast on top the next day). Otherwise, fermentation usually starts within a few hours with just a smack-pack. While I understand the benefit of a quick start, I'm just lazy.

...which brings-up one more "Sin" of mine: Record-keeping. I used to keep really good notes and follow the recipe to a 'T'. But since I began splitting 10-gallon batches, I just point-and-shoot toward a particular style. This technique wouldn't work if I were aiming for consistency over and over, but I don't plan on ever selling my beer anyway. The down-side is that I can't quite reproduce my best beers again.

Maybe it's time to bring my brewing into the computer age... :rolleyes:

Back