Lightning Blonde Honey Mango Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
Optional
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
5.6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ 62F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ 62F
Tasting Notes
Crisp malty taste balanced with the sweet notes of honey and mango, clean finish.
So I got the base of this ale from Bertus Brewery Power Outage Blonde Ale, however I only used Maris Otter, and Crystal 20L. I also made 15 gallons of this and split off 5 gallons for the honey mango, 5 gallons for a strawberry honey blonde and 5 gallons for just a blonde ale.

This brew got its name because on brew day just as I was finishing the boil, a huge lightning storm came in.

Anyway here is the recipe:

Recipe Size 5.5 Galons

Grain Bill:
10 lbs Maris Otter
0.5 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt 20L

Mash: 154F for 90 min

Hop Schedule: (Total of 1 oz Centennial pellets)
0.5 oz Centennial @ 60 min
0.25 oz Centennial @ 20 min
0.25 oz Centennial @ Flame Out

Fermentation:
US-05 Yeast pitched and primary for 14 days @ 62F
Then rack to secondary, and add 2 lb shredded frozen sanitized mango, and 1 Lb of honey.
(I used the dole frozen mango chunks and thinly shredded them. Make sure to taste it before you use it, because I had one bag of a local store brand that wasn't as flavorful as I wanted, so I ended up not using it)

Ferment in the secondary at 62F for 10 days.

Tasting notes: Aroma is just out of this world. Not overly mango or honey, but just enough to peak your interest. Maris Otter balances out the Centennial hops well, with hints of the spice coming through, but then the honey and mango coming through. A clean finish will keep you "tasting" it until the keg is gone. This keg kicked quickly!

20130720_172247.jpg

Notes:
  • For the Strawberry Honey Blonde, I substitute the 1.5 lbs of mango for 2.2 lbs of strawberries.
  • The blonde ale is a great base goes down super easy and can get you in trouble quickly, as the alcohol is not really detectable. I'd like to try adding calypso or galaxy to this as well and see how that helps to complement the fruity flavors.

Latest posts

Back