root beer and foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leukass

Reaction score
i can't stop the foam......
i have root beer in my keezer - i force carbed it in a keg up to 35 psi for about 10 days. i ran about 15' of 3/16 beer line because i heard the that would help with the foam. but when i open the tap i get either foam or air bubbles and burbs coming thru the line. as the foam dies it leaves the root beer but it is kind of flat. the faucet is just your basic chrome $20 faucet. i have tried running the co2 25 psi to 10 psi - nothing seems to work?

has anyone had this experience - any ideas how to fix?

thanks

For soda, which is much more highly carbed than beer, you need very long serving lines to balance the system.

I used 30 feet of 3/16" line, and that worked out really well for cold (fridge temp) soda at 25 psi (or 30 psi- I can't remember now). I haven't done soda in the keg since my last child left home, and now he's over 21 so he drinks a beer when he stops over.

I forced carbed my root beer at 20, shaking the keg vigorously a few times it took about 2 days. I then turned the co2 down to 10 for serving.

Longer or smaller diameter lines are your friend. I have two shanks that have different diameter bore sizes. One is 1/4" and the other is 3/16 and it's amazing the difference that makes on the same line for soda. You might also try adding in the epoxy mixers into the dip tube of the keg itself.

epoxy mixer? i haven't heard of this? can you explain what it is and what it does?

I will stop by the LHBS and get a longer beer line and try that...

Thanks

Latest posts

Back