I don't know what to make

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phrinda

Reaction score
I placed an order with my LHBS to be picked up at our local farmer's market so i could make a pale ale. The recipe that i was going to make was pretty simple. 11 lbs. of 2-row, a touch of honey malt, 2 oz. of cascade, and 2 oz. of cluster. Then i was going to pitch some US-05 for a nice clean ferment. However, they didn't have my order. The first thing i did is sub in a pound of vienna in place of the honey malt. And when i got home i realized that i have 13.5 lbs. of 2-row instead of 11. Anyway, what i have now is

2-row- 13.5 lbs. (probably)
Vienna- 1.0 lbs. (probably)
Cluster (6.8%)- 2 oz.
US Tettnang (4.8%)- 1 oz.
US Magnum (14.7%)- 1 oz.

It seems like i'm on my way to an IPA, but i don't really know what to do with the hops and all the grain (it's already milled and mixed). Also, this will be a 5 gal. batch sparge.

I've been lurking and learning on this site for about two years now so i would like to say thank you to all for the great information.

Ounce of magnum at 60
Half the other hops at 10 and half at flameout.

Haven't put it in software but that will got you a bitter IPA with a good dose of flavor and aroma. Go back and get your favorite dry hopping hop and add to secondary.

At 75% mash efficiency you end up with
Og 1.073 at 5.5 gal post boil
Fg 1.017
58.3 ibu
4.5 srm
.8 bu:gu ratio
7.4 abv

Sounds like a decent iPa with some dry hop

Not a bad idea. I really wasn't sure if the tettnang belonged with everything else. Or if I should do without the magnum. I do like the "everything else as aroma and flavor" idea though. Thanks

You didn't mention a yeast on hand, so I presume it could be anything? Forgo the vienna malt and go KOLSCH. 'tis the season. Bitter w/ magnum, and flavor/aroma w/ tettnang.

edit- I just noticed the vienna is mixed. wth, go for it.

The one thing that actually went according to plan is the us-05 that I got. A kolsch would be nice. Too far to drive to get more supplies though so I am stuck with what I have on hand. I think I might have some caramel 80 in the freezer. I wonder how that would be.

I wouldn't add the 80 you've already got a pretty thick beer with a high starting gravity and a low bu:gu ratio for an ipa style. With what you have on hand I think that is the best style to shoot for and I still might even dump a couple of lbs of the grain because this is almost imperial in gravity but at he low to middle in bitterness

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I hate to waste the grain though. Do you know if it will keep frozen if it is crushed?

Back