help with ipa hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InityBrew

Reaction score
Hey all,

Plan on brewing up a 6% IPA tomorrow.

Grain bill
9.5 lb 2row
1lb Munich
.5 carapils
.5 C10

Est OG 1.058

Shooting for 55 - 60 ibis

Here is what I have:
3 oz falconer's
1 oz Columbus
2 oz Chinook
2 oz summit
3 oz centennial
2 oz simcoe
.5 oz warrior

What do you guys think for a hop schedule?

I would like to get a nice piney / resin mix with a little citrus in there

I haven't used the Chinook, summit or falconer's yet, so I have no idea what to expect.

Hey all,
Shooting for 55 - 60 ibis

Here is what I have:
3 oz falconer's
1 oz Columbus
2 oz Chinook
2 oz summit
3 oz centennial
2 oz simcoe
.5 oz warrior

What do you guys think for a hop schedule?

I would like to get a nice piney / resin mix with a little citrus in there

I haven't used the Chinook, summit or falconer's yet, so I have no idea what to expect.

You could try 1/2 oz. Columbus and 1/2 oz. of Chinook for bittering (First Wort Hop at 60 mins) and mix 1/2 oz. each of Simcoe, Centennial, Falconer's and Chinook (Add 1/2 oz. of this mix at 15, 10, 5, and 0 mins left in the boil). This should give you a piney/citrus flavor with some smooth bitterness.

Just my $0.02.... :)

Cheers!

In my humble opinion I'd think the og would lead to a low abv for IPA ( I'd aim for 1.065+) but that's me.
I also like lower acid hop variety and a longer boil.
I'd say cascade, sterling, crystal, simcoe, or maybe columbus with an hour and a half or 2 hour boil. I'd try to keep it to two or three hops. With additions every 10 minutes or so.

Also, you might want to increase the Pale 2-row to around 11 lbs if you want a 6.0% IPA, unless your efficiency is awesome.

My efficiency is good, but it looks like this will be more of an APA.

I originally wanted a sessionable ipa on the low end of the style guideline

I can cut down the ibus to 40 - 50.

I'd like to use the falconer's, Chinook, simcoe, and Columbus.

Maybe
FWH - Columbus / chinook

And then hop burst a mixture of the rest at 15, 10, 5, and flame out?

My efficiency is good, but it looks like this will be more of an APA.

I originally wanted a sessionable ipa on the low end of the style guideline

I can cut down the ibus to 40 - 50.

I'd like to use the falconer's, Chinook, simcoe, and Columbus.

Maybe
FWH - Columbus / chinook

And then hop burst a mixture of the rest at 15, 10, 5, and flame out?

That should make a pretty good beer. It will still be around the top end of an APA and mid range of an IPA. I'm not really a style snob. I just brew stuff that might taste good to me. :)

Brewed this morning and I ended up with the following..

Og. 1.059

60 min
.25 Columbus
.25 Chinook

15 min
.5 falconer's
.25 Columbus
.25 Chinook
.25 centennial

5 min
.50 falconer's
.25 centennial
.25 Columbus

Flame out: 20 min steep at 180
1 oz falconers 7cs
.50 simcoe
.50 centennial
.50 columbus

Ibus around 60.

Used wyeast 1028 starter.

I just got home and the fermentation has started! I think I will hold it in the low 60s.. this is my first time using 1028 so I am not sure what to expect.

Ill report back in 2 weeks when I pull a sample..

As for dry hop.. absolutely!

I have more Columbus, falconer's, simcoe, and Chinook.

Any suggestions?

never used falconer's although i'm sure it could be a good dry hop (it's a blend right?). the other 3 i use for dry hopping frequently and love especially simcoe and chinook.

If you could get your hands on a little more Centennial, I would suggest Simcoe,Chinook, & Centennial. I can't quite put my finger on it, but Centennial as a Dry Hop just really works well.

I agree with Yankee, Centennial, Simcoe, Chinook are great for dry hop... columbus add an interesting nose when dryhopping if you can find some extra, lagunitas uses those 4 plus cascades in their lil sumpin sumpin dry hop... that has a great aroma/flavor :D

They call those five the C-hops (even though simcoe is an S ;))

ps, how'd this turn out with the 1028?? i recently brewed a beer (7/4) and used it for the first time... i wanted 1068, but they were out so i gave that a shot!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions on the dry hop.. I am really excited about this brew. It is the first recipe that I threw together

Right now it is chugging along at 65 degrees, but suprisingly the krausen is only about an inch high. It's small but fierce.

Once i pull a sample i will determine what I will dry hop with..

Most likely i will use the suggested combo of Centennial, simcoe, Chinook, and maybe columbus.

Brew on.

Update!

Sample after about 2 weeks is at 1.012. Perfect.

Still a little hazy, but it tastes excellent. I think I will dry hop with some falconer's and either Chinook, or Columbus.

How about Falconer's, Chinook, and Columbus...3 ounces total should do!!! Mmmm...hoppy!

I am going to dry hop with 1 oz of both falconer's and Chinook for 5-6 days. I would have thrown in some Columbus but I am out.

So I kegged this on Saturday, and it is incredible. Still has a little clearing to do, but it tastes great now and will only get better.

I dry hopped with 1oz of Chinook, and an oz of falconer's.

I recommend that someone give this one a try. Will not be disappointed.

Back