Fermenting question. Leave in primary, transfer to secondary or bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dnolan36

Reaction score
So on April 12, 2011 I brewed a wheat beer. I used 7lbs of wheat DME and used Safbrew WB-06. My OG was 1.055 and my estimated FG was 1.013. I checked the gravity two days ago and was at 1.016 and yesterday it was at 1.014. I will check it again this evening. If it stays at 1.014 today and is there again tomorrow would it be safe to go ahead and bottle?

My problem is I am going out of town this upcoming Saturday and will not be there to maintain the temp as much in the ice bath. If I had to leave it, should I leave it in the primary or transfer it off the yeast cake into a secondary? If I transfer it to a secondary, how important is temperature control? When my ice melts and the bucket just sits in the water, it seams to max out at around 70 degrees. But since I will be gone a week I am not sure it will stay there while I am gone or if the temp will go up more.

Thanks.

After the first week temp control isn't crucial. And as for leaving it many of us leave our beers in primary for a month. There's a ton of threads discussing the pros and cons of each. You don't really want to re-invent the wheel here and discuss what's been done ad nauseum- You can get all the info by reading this post, and the link included there, where there's an ongoing discussion, and all questions have been answered....

@Revvy

Yea, I was not really too concerned about the primary vs. secondary but thought I would ask again. Unfortunately I am at work and do not have too much free time to search older forum posts. But I will check out the link you included.

@BendBrewer
Well our house temp is generally around 72-75 degrees right now. Due to the weather, it is not really cold enough to turn on the heat or warm enough to turn on the AC, though we have done it a few times this year since we have had some days in the mid to upper 80's.

I have the fermenter in a plastic tub filled with water which is sitting in the bathtub of our guest bathroom. The thermometer in it is usually around 68 degrees but will get up to 70 at the most so far. I am not sure how high it will get while we are away as I am not sure what we will put the thermostat on while we are away for a week.

Back