Mulling spices for beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisyflower

Reaction score
Of course I know of spiced beer, but has anyone tried spices that you would used to make mulled wine for beer?. I am not talking about making hot mulled beer but spicing beer with these spices. I have mulling sachets I thought could be steeped during fermentation or the boil. The spices in the ingredient list are these: cinnamon chips, orange peel, cloves, allspice, pure orange oil. What, if any, style of beer would be compatible with these spices?

I would say nothing too hoppy and something with a relatively clean taste. Something that will allow the spices to shine through. Any recipe for a winter warmer-type brew, or even a pumpkin ale (remove the orange oil and in most recipes the peel, and you have pumpkin spice). Just be careful with the amount you add as, with spices, a little goes a long way. Edit: Depending on the amount of oil, it may or may not do a number on your head retention.

I brew a winter ale with 1 tsp each of cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom, and add in whole cloves and bitter orange peel. I can post the all-grain recipe if you like, but without knowing the amount of spices in the sachets, it may take a few experiments to get the taste you want.

Back