Mash Instructions for my first All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cswileyatl

Reaction score
What does this mean:
Mash Schedule
131 1.0 qt/lb 30 min
152 1.5 qt/lb 75 min
168 1.5 qt/lb mashout (decoction)

I thought 131 was the first rest. The second is add 15 Quarts for 10 lbs of grain (or 5 quarts) for 10 lbs of grain to bring it up to th 152 degrees. I guess the final is 168 Decoction (boil and bring up the mix to 168. Fly sparge means adding more water - Im up to 25 quarts at this point - how much more water can I add?

For your first AG, why don't you pick a simple infusion mash?

For a 5 gallon batch, you'll need to collect somewhere around 7 total gallons of wort to start the boil. The exact amount depends on how much water you boil off .

What I think it means is use 1 qt water per lb grain to achieve a step temperature of 131F
Then add 0.5 qt water per lb grain to achieve a step temperature of 152F. (The 0.5 plus the original 1.0 = 1.5 qt/lb thickness)
Then do a decoction (No extra water) to raise the temperature to 168F for a mash out.

I would be inclined to skip the 131F rest completely, and go straight to the 152F rest with a mash thickness of 1.25 qt/lb, and then add 6 qt boiling water to reach the 168F. (This assumes a 10 lb grain bill).

-a.

Madness! This is a very advanced mash. You're setting yourself up for failure and discouragement by starting with something so complex.
I beg you to start with a much simpler single step mash. Like ajf suggests :D

Yeah, your doing the same thing I did. Read up all about mashing and then try to do protein rests and everything else. On my first all grain I did 3 different temperatures plus the mashout, now I just do a single mash at 152 -155 like everyone else. Don't over complicate it.

Back