concentrated star san in my cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbury419

Reaction score
So...I've been brewing beer for over two years now. I've got some great beers under my belt and I've been stationed in England recently. In the area I'm at the locals are huge into ciders. So I finally worked up the courage to make a apple cider..particularly a winter spiced cider. My recipe is as follows

4 gallons Martinelli's apple cider
1 gal of Culligan water
2 3/4# demera sugar
3 small cinnamon sticks
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp all spice
2 tsp citric acid

Yeast: Wyeast 1056 (1lb slurry)
OG: 1.060

All went well, I boiled my sugar and spices for 20 minutes and added the citric acid in the boil. I cleaned and sanitized my carboy with 1 liter of pre mix of concentrated star san and distilled water. (enough star san for 1 gal of water) I went to pour my spiced sugar Wort (if that's the right term) in the carboy followed by my 4 gal of cider. And when I filled up my 6 gal carboy I noticed I past my 5 gal mark by a liter..that's when I realized the horrible truth of what I did. I dumped not only my cider And Wort in the carboy but also my yeast slurry!! :/ I was worried because I already brought down the already acidic apple juice ph with citric acid and I just added more acid..concentrated star san. Its the first time I've ever done this. So I put the carboy in my lab and prayed the lil yeasty friends survive. This was last Sunday and there was signs of airlock activity after 45 minutes. Yesterday was the climax of airlock activity. Now it smells like H2S (rotten eggs)..I'm worried than my lil champs won't finish fermenting and poop out. (I just realized I had caps lock on my phone so I don't know how much came across like I was yelling...lol, sorry). Any input or advice?

Update on this, it's still fermenting away and all is well so far. I haven't taken a SG sample or taste sample yet. I'm gonna wait till it's done after I rack it! It's been fermenting at a nice 63*F :rockin:

Back