Gasing keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam84

Reaction score
I've just gased a keg ready to drink! Now can I put my gas on my other keg finish it and leave the one I have just gased off the gas til I'm ready to drink it??

If you carb it at 12 psi and then disconnect the gas, it should stay at 12psi and the carbonation shouldn't change. I haven't done it for more than a day or two though (usually just to put another keg on 30psi to get a head start). I don't think I would last forever, though, but I wouldn't be afraid to try it.

sam84 said:
I've just gased a keg ready to drink! Now can I put my gas on my other keg finish it and leave the one I have just gased off the gas til I'm ready to drink it??

Only if it's fully carbed and at equilibrium at 12 psi. It takes a while for this to happen, like at least a week. Sounds like you're saying you just hit it with 12 psi and want to disconnect the gas now, but that's not how it works. The beer has to have time to absorb the CO2.

Sorry I have gased it for two days at 260 kpa. Now I ready to drop it back to pouring pressure. Though I don't water to drink it yet cause I already have one half full. So just wondering if I can leave it off gas now til I want to drink it?

Any chance you could pick up a manifold and hook both kegs up at the same time? That way you could get one carbed and leave it hooked up at 12psi and hook up the other keg when it's ready and start carbing it while you begin drinking the other.

I often crank up the pressure right when I start carbing a keg, especially if I've allowed my supply to run dry, but trying to carb to 12 psi by blasting with 30+ psi, then un-hook, carb another keg in the same fashion, then rehook-up the first keg and drop the psi to serving pressure (what, 4psi?) just seems like a major PITA. Get a manifold, get 3/16" serving lines for each keg at around 10' long (you could start with 11 feet and trim back until you get it just right) then you can carb, store and serve your beer at 12psi.

Back