How hot does fermentation get?!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
I brewed a blueberry ale yesterday, and pitched a packet of Safale S-05 last night. I decided to put a submersible thermometer in there to see how hot it actually is in the middle of the storm, and this is what I saw when I got home today:

BlueberryAle.jpg

139 degrees!!! Holy crap! It's in a bucket of cold water too, but does it really get that hot in there from all the yeasties moving around?

I would have to say something is wrong with your thermometer. Fermentation temps can get a little over 5 degrees higher, at 139 your yeast would be dead...

Monster Mash said:
I would have to say something is wrong with your thermometer. Fermentation temps can get a little over 5 degrees higher, at 139 your yeast would be dead...

x2, although I have had some get 10* hotter

I'm wondering if it's not that hot in there, but it's moving around so fast that it's fooling the thermometer. Otherwise I've been mashing at just above freezing.

I don't think your thermometer is meant to be submerged where the probe hits the wire lead.

I did that with mine, and it read 189F after a few minutes, even ice cold water only dropped it 2 degrees.

I let it dry out for about 5 days, and it works again.

it's a digital oven thermometer, so I gotta be careful about letting it fall all the way into the brewpot.

Back