bottling day advice-carbtabs or candi sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeer-

Reaction score
So I'm about to bottle an experimental extract batch, which is basically a dark Belgian wheat ale. Ill post recipe if necessary (or if I can remember exactly).

But to the point, I have a ton of Muntons carbtabs and also Brewers Best light and dark Belgian candi sugar. Ive only primed with corn sugar in the past and that turned out great. But on this I just cannot decide. Also My table sugar has been opened and sitting around for a while. Don't feel like using that.

The reliable local hb supply is a 2 hour round trip or longer this time of day, what should I do? Carbtabs Or Candi rock sugar for priming? Maybe a recommended amount?

The Carbtabs say carbs beer in one week, I fell doubtful of that. Thanks a bunch.

I see no reason you can't treat either the candi or the table sugar just as you would the same weight of corn sugar, boil it up, rack onto it, and bottle, wham-bam.

I've never carbonated with anything but corn sugar myself, so I can't really comment on the taste, but it seems like popping an un-boiled pill into each bottle is both an infection risk and a pain in the butt?

Back