Smells

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha I knew what your question was going to be before I even read it. It shouldn't smell all that good. All that CO2 coming off from the yeast tends to give you some funky smells. I wouldn't worry too much about the smell until you're ready to bottle. If you've got the brew in your bottling bucket and it still smells nasty, then I might be a little curious.

Whatever you do, don't stick your head into your fermenter and take a big whiff after a week of fermentation... it will take a long time for you to forget that smell :D

will this go away with time, its got a really strange smell acidy or something, it should be finished fermenting in about a week.

taste some when you rack it to the secondary :)

my mouth is a much better guage of how my beer is doing then my nose ;)

The smell during fermentation is not at all indicative of the smaell of the finished brew. You can tell if infections are present from smell, but a bad smell doesn't mean a bad beer necessarily...remember what the yeast are doing in there ;)

Latest posts

Back