Well, I forgot to brew a christmas ale. Can I spice up a quick English Mild?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GinAndCoffee

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I prepared extensively for Thanksgiving by brewing up a dunkelweizen (finishing up carbing as we speak). BUT I realized I hadn't given ANY thought to Christmas. Seeing as it's probably too late to brew a bigger beer, I had the idea of brewing up a spiced beer with a lower OG.

Would I completely destroy the flavor of an English Mild with spices? I know that I'd have to use them gingerly (no pun intended)... and if so, what would you suggest for a 5 gallon batch?

Sounds like a good plan to me, agreed on the subtle spicing.

Another option would be to over-spice the mild, and then blend it to taste with a bigger beer that you already have aging.

OK, so after further thought I decided on something interesting... I found some weird Celestial Seasonings that has the flavor of sugar cookies.

Yes, sugar cookies.

Its ingredients consist of roasted barley, vanilla, orange peel and milk thistle. It's flavor (as a tea) is subtle but delicious.

In Papazian's book, he has a recipe for a beer with another Celestial Seasonings tea... I figure that adding 2 oz. to the end of the boil for my mild will work.

I'm excited!

Latest posts

Back