Making a Wyders clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, Ive never made cider before, just beer, but my wife likes hard cider so I thought I'd be a nice husband for once and make her a batch of hard cider. Her favorite is Wyders Dry cider and I was wondering of anyone could point me in the right direction for a clone recipe. I can't imagine it being difficult, but any help is appreciated. I tried the search bar but I had no luck.

I'm not entirely sure how Wyders is made, but I think they use concentrate apple juice, no sugar, let it go dry, and then add back in juice (look at the ingredients label for that part).

Thing about cider is, don't rush it. Let it take its time fermenting. Wyders claims it is dry, so let it go dry, and then add chemicals before adding back juice to get it to be sweet. Bottle it, and let it sit for 3 months or so. I would say longer, but Wyder's isn't exactly craft cider, but letting it sit would be good none the less.

I can write you out a recipe if this doesn't help.

Even if Wyders claim they are "dry" it most certainly is not dry. Also, if you follow the previous poster's steps, you won't get a carbonated cider. In fact, it is very difficult/nearly impossible to get a carbonated sweet or semi sweet cider without a kegging setup.

It is easy to create: sweet still cider, dry still cider, dry carbonated cider.

But really hard to make: carbonated sweet cider. (unless you have a kegging setup that is)

Even if Wyders claim they are "dry" it most certainly is not dry. Also, if you follow the previous poster's steps, you won't get a carbonated cider. In fact, it is very difficult/nearly impossible to get a carbonated sweet or semi sweet cider without a kegging setup.

It is easy to create: sweet still cider, dry still cider, dry carbonated cider.

But really hard to make: carbonated sweet cider. (unless you have a kegging setup that is)

Very true. I totally spaced on the 6 pack ciders being sweet carbonated and difficult for the homebrewer to duplicate.

Taking that into account, I would recomend one of the following -
1. Get a hold of a no preservative sweet apple cider and add yeast to that and let it ferment. In the Pacific NW, we have Ryans, and Whole Foods sells a good juice in 1 gallon glass jugs. Please - do not add sugar, and let it ferment slowly!
2. Try making the aplefwien recipe that floats around. Since it has added sugar, it is a higher ABV% and a wine. It is still apple, and your wife will probably like it.

Good info guys thanks. I was reading the ingrediants and they use carbonated water, so I think thats I would only be able to do a keg set up if I wanted to clone Wyders.
I think though my wife might like a dry carbonated cider. She doesnt like ciders that are too sweet and likes it to be more 'refreshing'.
Maybe I will try that.

She doesnt like ciders that are too sweet and likes it to be more 'refreshing'.
Maybe I will try that.

Then you are in luck, because it is really really easy to make a dry cider - just let it go until you hit a SG of 1 or less. It is difficult to make a sweet cider without chemicals, which is why it is almost impossible for the homebrewer to carbonate bottled sweet cider.

For more information, I recommend you read this: http://www.cider.org.uk/part4.htm

Back