Someone has been farting in my carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPorter

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone could help me. I am brewing Northern Brewer's Lefse Blonde which is a Leffe clone and uses Wyeast Abbey II yeast.

I sat on it for a while and so from the date on the packet Mr. Malty told me I need a big-ass starter which I made. I pitched my starter into the carboy and fermentation took off within 8 hours.

Then, fermentation took off some more and went bat-**** crazy necessitating hasty installation of a blow off tube last night.

I checked on things this morning and my closet smells like Satan's jockstrap. I think the aroma is sulfurous/rotten egg. :eek:

Questions:

1) is this normal for this yeast?
2) will it go away eventually without affecting flavor
3) will all my clothes in the closet smell like ass?

Oh, and my starter seemed fine and did not smell bad (just a bit yeasty/bready)

Temperature is a little high - around 72 right now (hard to control for me)

Thanks in advance!

Belgian yeasts can be really stanky for a while. It will go away and it won't effect the flavor.

Don't fear the higher temperatures, especially towards the end of fermentation.

According to the Wyeast website this yeast's ideal range is 65-75 degrees, so you're temp looks good. Some yeasts produce more "rotten egg" smells than others. I think White Labs does a better job giving you detail on their yeasts, but I think you're fine. I'd worry more about SWMBO complaining, which is why my fermentations take place in an unused bedroom closet.

Thanks guys, I feel a little better about it now.

It's my closet and SWMBO thinks I stink anyway ;)

Let me know how close to a Leffe that Lefse kit comes out. I love Leffe (even though it's like the budweiser of belgians) and wouldn't mind kicking out a batch.

Back