Can you shock the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cartman3

Reaction score
I want to start a mead but will have to move the bucket in 2 weeks and the recipe says 1 month start to finish. If I move it to much can I "shock the yeast?" I have heard something like this and I was hoping I could get it explained more... Thanks!

Temp changes (particularly a sudden drop in temp) will shock you yeast and make them quit working.

Agitation will not bother the yeast. However you want to avoid splashing so much that oxygen is introduced to the half fermented liquid. Oxygen + alcohol = stale flavor.

If you aren't moving the yeast very far and the ambient temperatures are not at extremes (100* or 15* on the low side, for example), then the 5 gallons of liquid will not change temp too much. Also, keep it out of direct sun as much as possible. Oxygen will oxidize beer (obviously) but sunlight will also produce enough light energy to do the same damage (and also raise its temp pretty fast!). So, move it, but just move it fast.

Back