BEERSMITH - How to adjust amount?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbodkin

Reaction score
New to BeerSmith ... I have a recipe I created and want to now adjust it for efficiency % so it will adjust the grain amounts I need to buy for my Grainbill. (I want to buy a little more grain to make up for lower efficiency)

Right now I have it set to 4 lbs of pale and 4 lbs of wheat at 72% efficiency ... I thought I read some where to adjust the efficiency % and the Grain amount would change so I would know how much extra grain to get to make up for lower efficiency?

So how do I get this to work? I changed the % ... but the grain amount stayed the same???

That's not how it works, if you change the efficency setting it will be reflected in the predicted OG, not the grain amounts. Set the efficiency to the value you normally achieve, and then adjust the base grains to get your desired OG. Just select on the grain you want to change, and click on "Increase Amount" as needed.

New to BeerSmith ... I have a recipe I created and want to now adjust it for efficiency % so it will adjust the grain amounts I need to buy for my Grainbill. (I want to buy a little more grain to make up for lower efficiency)

Right now I have it set to 4 lbs of pale and 4 lbs of wheat at 72% efficiency ... I thought I read some where to adjust the efficiency % and the Grain amount would change so I would know how much extra grain to get to make up for lower efficiency?

So how do I get this to work? I changed the % ... but the grain amount stayed the same???

Yes, the grain amount stayed the same, but look at the projected OG. That dropped. You just adjust the grain upward (keeping the % the same of each grain) until you get the desired OG.

Does this look like it would be right?

------------------------------------------------
Peach Wheat

Type: All Grain
Date: 12/13/2008
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: jbodkin
Boil Size: 7.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 50.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 45.95 %
4.25 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 45.95 %
0.75 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 8.11 %
0.75 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 10.5 IBU
0.45 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (30 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
5.00 lb Peaches (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs European Ale (White Labs #WLP011) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.93 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 10.5 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 5.4 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: My Mash Profile - Wheat Beer Total Grain Weight: 9.25 lb
Sparge Water: 5.47 gal Grain Temperature: 68.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 68.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

My Mash Profile - Wheat Beer Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min MASH IN Add 11.56 qt of water at 172.1 F 155.0 F

Not sure what the OP wants, but I'll post this up for the search:

To scale an All Grain recipe in BrewSmith to your Efficiency you use the "Scale" menu option and enter your desired Efficiency percentage. Enter your "BrewHouse Efficiency" you want to scale to and then click OK. Your grain amounts will have changed to keep the same percentages while increasing or reducing the grist bill.

You just adjust the grain upward (keeping the % the same of each grain) until you get the desired OG.

Could that result in some undesired concentrations of flavors from the specialty grains? Depending on what's causing the inefficiency, if it's a lack of protein activity wouldn't you still be getting the full taste of say, a chocolate malt, even if there is less starch conversion? I'd be more apt to adjust only the base malts.

Edit: I didn't see his recipe before I posted. I don't think there would be any harm in upping all three grains. That's a lot of wheat malt as a percentage, I'm guessing the efficiency is going to suffer a bit just from the recipe.

Back