priming sugar - corn or cane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjdelaney

Reaction score
I'm about to bottle for the first time, and I am not sure if the priming sugar that came with my ingredients-kit is cane or corn sugar. It is a 5 oz bag of white stuff labeled "priming sugar". It is made by LD Carlson Company. I am hoping this is pretty commonly-known stuff and someone can help me out.

Thanks alot. :mug:

The measurements of 3/4 corn (2/3 cane) are for 5 gallon batches. I know that my final batch will be less than 5 gallons due to hydro samples and other errors. If I end up with 4.5 gallons, should I adjust the solution accordingly? i.e.,

(4.5/5)*(2/3) = 0.6 cups cane
(4.5/5)*(2) = 1.8 cups water

?
Thanks!

The measurements of 3/4 corn (2/3 cane) are for 5 gallon batches. I know that my final batch will be less than 5 gallons due to hydro samples and other errors. If I end up with 4.5 gallons, should I adjust the solution accordingly? i.e.,

(4.5/5)*(2/3) = 0.6 cups cane
(4.5/5)*(2) = 1.8 cups water

?
Thanks!

Yes, adjust the amount of sugar based on the volume. The volume of water you use to dissolve the sugar doesn't matter so much so long as it's small and all the sugar dissolves in it. In fact I usually use less than a cup of water when I prime. If you have a scale that can accurately measure in ounces and tenths of ounces, you'd be better off using the weight of the sugar, but 2/3 cup is probably close enough.

Technically, you should also adjust based on the style of beer and fermentation temperature, but for you first batch you should be fine.

I've also never tasted a difference. I've been using cane sugar for my last ten batches since it is more easily available. My standard is 2/3 cup for 5 gallons. Little less for certain beers.

Latest posts

Back