Looking for good prices on Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I'm wondering where most of you get your Wyeast Brett strains. Is 9 or 10 bucks per strain basically as cheap as you can get it??

I want to do an all Brett B and L brew but didn't realize I'd be spending at least 25 bucks for the 2 yeast strains with shipping.

Any other deals out there that you know of??

The White Labs Brett strains are $6 a pop at Brewmaster's Warehouse. The various sour ale blends from White Labs and Wyeast are about the same.

just make sure to harvest/reuse the yeast after use so you won't have to pay for that yeast again

Make a starter from them, and save some of the starter. Don't try to save your dregs. After a couple brews, one of the strains will out compete the other, so you want to keep a pure sample somewhere.

Make a starter from them, and save some of the starter.

Sorry to hijack but I've got a question. Has anyone tried to inoculate wood chips from their starter? Throw this chips in for a bit then dry them out hoping to capture the bugs. I know its always better to make a starter but it seems it would be SOOO easy to just pitch the chips in when ready.

JediJoel: I have some oakchips that floated, in a hop bag in the krausen of an all brett c (very active) ferment, and are now sitting, out of the bag, at the bottom of that batch.

Was going to try and dry them out later. My concern is how do i seperate the trub/yeast from the chips and how do i dry them out without getting them infected with bugs/yeast other than the brett?

My concern is how do i seperate the trub/yeast from the chips and how do i dry them out without getting them infected with bugs/yeast other than the brett?

Yeah that's why I thought it best to float some chips in the starter so you don't have to worry about the excess trub and yeast. Not sure about other bugs though.

I've heard of breweries infecting oak chips but I'm sure they have microbiologists pulling this off in a controlled/clean environment. Thought I would see if any homebrewers pulled this off but no one has chimed in thus far...

Back