Dunkelweizen OG too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBlueBrad

Reaction score
I just made five total gallons today and the OG was 1.065 of so. That seems high compared to what I see suggested online.

I used about 4.5 lbs of LME and tettnang hops. Any ideas?

Thanks

Style OG tops out at 5.6. It'll probably have a little more abv, depending on attenuation. What was your boil volume? I'll bet it turns out fine.

Boiled 2 gallon and added more after cooling. Thanks for the quick reply. I wonder why it was higher?

It could be a number of things. You might have boiled off more than you thought, or you might have taken the hydrometer reading before the wort was mixed well enough with your top-off water. Usually though, the latter results in lower OG, due to the density of the water. Beersmith estimated your OG at 1.039 with 4.5 lbs of dme. I would assume your boil-off was the culprit.

You did measure after adding all of your top-off water,and before you pitched your yeast right? Also just plugged LME into beersmith and it had an estimated OG of 1.032. I'm thinking your volumes or weights had to be way off.

I bet that was it. Good man. I added my top off water to the top of the boil, took my gravity reading, added yeast and then stirred. Probably should have stirred then took gravity.

Should I take it now that is in the fermentor or not bother.

I really appreciate the knowledge my brew brother!

If it's already in the fermenter, I'd leave it alone. Check your final gravity when it's done and chalk this up to learning. OG is just nice to know so you get some idea of what you should finish at, and if it's within style. It's not critical now. You're making beer, that's the main thing. RDWHAHB.

Back