SMaSH for 1st AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AviatorTroy

Reaction score
Hey all, new around here, been brewing on and off for about 8 years but lately have got into it enough to commit to AG, so in a few weeks (when I get back home) I'm going to dive in. I've got all the ingredients in the basement for a Dunkelweizen since Ive been going crazy with hefes lately.

Now Ive probably done 35 or 40 batches before but I am a bit leery of mashing wheat on the first go around since Ive read of the sticky mashes and stuck wort and messes.

What if I just did this...

10# Vienna, mashed at 158 for decent body
Cascade, at the following schedule
.5 oz 60 min
.5 oz 30 min
.5 oz 15 min
.5 oz 2 min

WLP001 California Ale

Tasty brew says these are the specs...
OG 1.055
FG 1.014
IBU 29
ABV 5.3 %
SRM 6

What would you call this anyway, sort of a pale ale?

I thought it looked easy and fun, and I could work on my technique before worrying about protein rests with the wheat mash.

What if you only use 2 lbs. Of Vienna, add 8 lbs. Of 2 row adjust the cascade a bit, and you have edwort's haus pale ale. That was my first all grain and I am enjoing a pint of it right now. It is a great beer, and I missed my OG.
Or you could just do the Vienna smash like you want to. Either way good luck and have fun!

Hey all, new around here, been brewing on and off for about 8 years but lately have got into it enough to commit to AG, so in a few weeks (when I get back home) I'm going to dive in. I've got all the ingredients in the basement for a Dunkelweizen since Ive been going crazy with hefes lately.

Now Ive probably done 35 or 40 batches before but I am a bit leery of mashing wheat on the first go around since Ive read of the sticky mashes and stuck wort and messes.

What if I just did this...

10# Vienna, mashed at 158 for decent body
Cascade, at the following schedule
.5 oz 60 min
.5 oz 30 min
.5 oz 15 min
.5 oz 2 min

WLP001 California Ale

Tasty brew says these are the specs...
OG 1.055
FG 1.014
IBU 29
ABV 5.3 %
SRM 6

What would you call this anyway, sort of a pale ale?

I thought it looked easy and fun, and I could work on my technique before worrying about protein rests with the wheat mash.

Wheat malt is not as problematic as you think. I have brewed many Hefewiezens without step mashing and never had a stuck mash.

I do LOVE, hefes. To the point where I sit around at work all day salivating thinking about the next time my brain is going to get to dissect the beautiful concoction of spicy cloves, banana, and other fine faint flavors and aromas. Oh yes.

Anyway just thought it would be a good idea to start simple.

:mug:

I do LOVE, hefes. To the point where I sit around at work all day salivating thinking about the next time my brain is going to get to dissect the beautiful concoction of spicy cloves, banana, and other fine faint flavors and aromas. Oh yes.

Anyway just thought it would be a good idea to start simple.

:mug:

It's never a bad idea to start simple. In the mean time there are always many fine commercial examples of Hefewiezens. Weihenstephaner, Erdinger and Franziskaner are my favorites.

Back