Aluminum brew pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
I see that wal-mart has a burner/pot combo kit for 49.00 Is it safe to cook wort in Aluminum? The burner is an outdoor type and the pot is 30 quart or 7.5 gallon. My biggest problem is boiling in my 3 gallon on my wifes stove. It is time consuming and messy, I couls see this thing saving me a ton of problems, but I dont like cooking in Aluminum.

just boil some water in it and never scratch the inside, just clean it carefully.

i use one all the time

The other issue with aluminum pots no one has yet mentioned is that you can't clean them the same way you can SS pots. When cleaning a SS pot you can use whatever, but with aluminum pots you have to be careful because not all cleaners will work. Especially cleaners that use oxygen such as Straight-A. But aluminum pots do heat faster so that's a plus.

It's fine, probably best to avoid oxygenated cleaners, as mentioned above. That's all I do and mine has worked well. I mean, there are the constant nose bleeds and the recently developing nervous tick, but those could also be a result of the massive amount of mercury I use in my Quicksilver Ale recipe!

Aluminum is the best unless you have access to the same printing presses that the Government uses when it wants to pretend to have money. Stainless is pretty and you can clean it with OxiClean but the beer that it makes is identical to the beer made in an aluminum pot. Save your money for something useful like a plate chiller or a bigger mash tun.

Spend 20 more beans go stainless. Not worth the tip toeing around when stainless is bulletproof an will last longer than you!

Once you have the oxide layer on the inside, it's a really good pot to use.

For the OP, just boil the most water you can fit into it for about 30-60 minutes before you plan to use it for making beer. Leave the dark coating that forms in it alone. You can use less abrasive scrubbers on it (or brushes) to clean if you need to. Otherwise, a soapy sponge will work just fine.

Now excuse me while I load up my mags with hollow-points. :D

I see that wal-mart has a burner/pot combo kit for 49.00 Is it safe to cook wort in Aluminum? The burner is an outdoor type and the pot is 30 quart or 7.5 gallon. My biggest problem is boiling in my 3 gallon on my wifes stove. It is time consuming and messy, I couls see this thing saving me a ton of problems, but I dont like cooking in Aluminum.

I asked this question not long ago and found that at least a few people on here are already brewing with turkey fryers. I'll be picking one up tomorrow if this snow/ice passes without leaving much behind. If you think boiling a 3 gallon is tough, try a 5! on an electric stove! :cross:

I believe aluminum was given the thumbs up as well. Carbon steel was the only thing I've read that you don't want to use.

Why would you use any cleaning agents like Straight A and the like. I use hot water, a soft dishrag, and 3 or 4 drops of dishsoap to clean my aluminum pot. That way I don't wash off any of the oxide layer. No scrubbing at all... Basically lightly wiping, and with hardly any dish soap, there isn't a whole lot of suds.

EZPZ.

Gary

Not gonna cook with aluminum sure as hell aint gonna brew with it. Not saying you cant but why not drop a little more cash for a better product that will last longer, clean easier and simply be better to brew with??

Not gonna cook with aluminum sure as hell aint gonna brew with it. Not saying you cant but why not drop a little more cash for a better product that will last longer, clean easier and simply be better to brew with??

I hope that you don't eat in restaurants because most use aluminum pots.

I use a 40 qt aluminum pot. Cheaper and just as good as the more expensive stainless.

I cook with aluminum too, btw.

An aluminum pot will heat faster and chill faster...
Not that it hasn't killed some of my brain cells, but it's what I use...

Good comments. I see that shooters nervous tic is actually from something else and not the aluminum leaching into the wort.LOL

"I see that shooters nervous tic is actually from something else and not the aluminum leaching into the wort."

I have it too... It's not that bad though.

Good comments. I see that shooters nervous tic is actually from something else and not the aluminum leaching into the wort.LOL

There will always be those that have hate for using aluminum for kettles. IMO/IME, properly treated, they're just fine. If it means you can get the pot/kettle you need to use within your budget, go for it. I'd rather have a robust aluminum kettle (4mm thick :rockin:) than a flimsy, cheap as hell, stainless pot. :eek:

Of course, by the looks of the avatars, I could see how past exposure to aluminum could have done damage to a few on the boards. :eek:

Many a popcorn has been eaten watching aluminum/stainless threads explode. Way to stay civilized gents and ladies.

Aluminum is fine. Restaurants use it extensively. It's generally cheaper too.

I personally like a stainless kettle because it's easier to clean if I get lazy and save deep cleaning for the morning. My old alum turkey fryer pot was tougher. It makes a great hlt now though. I feel like stainless helps ease boil overs. I could have gotten away with a 7gal kettle if it was stainless. I moved up to 9 and haven't really needed it all.

I use both. No difference in brews between the 2 metals.

Just don't scrub aluminum with anything abrasive, you want that layer that it builds up to stay there.

I'm not that anal about using chemicals or cleaners on a brewpot either. Wash it as soon as your done with a soft sponge and hot water, let it drip dry, good to go.

So what actually happens if this occurs? I recently brewed a batch in my 60 qt aluminum kettle and only oxidized maybe half of it. The batch came right up to the top of the line. Kinda scared now..

So what actually happens if this occurs? I recently brewed a batch in my 60 qt aluminum kettle and only oxidized maybe half of it. The batch came right up to the top of the line. Kinda scared now..

It's probalby oxidized by mere air exposure or the steam from your first oxidation boil. I don't think you necessarily have to see a thick black oxide layer for it to be oxidized. That's like pipe cake, it builds up over time.

You're fine.

Oxidation layer is over rated, IMO

I took mine right out of the box, rinsed it out and brewed with it. No seasoning. No oxidation layer. Nothing.

I am not dead.

Haha thanks guys. I was a little worried not gonna lie. Hopefully this brew turns out great. Too bad it will be a long while before I get to try it :/

I'm with everyone who says aluminum is fine. I've brewed with my aluminum pot many times. I did order a stainless steel pot a week ago, but only because I think it'll last longer and the price was right.

I'm shocked that this thread hasn't turned into the classic camp aluminum vs camp stainless and all the "you'll get alzheimers from aluminum" blah blah blah. Nice work people!

I've got almost 30 batches in my aluminum pot. Aluminum conducts heat faster than stainless. In fact a lot of the stainless pots have a thin sandwich of Stainless with a thick aluminum core on the kettle bottom.

The only issue I see is looks (I could care less) and care with cleaners. The wort is always boiled so you don't have to have it squeaky clean. I use a soft brush with soap to clean it and rinse a good 4 or 5 times with hot water. I can't use oxiclean like everything else, but the soap and rinse works fine.

Some day I will justify a nice thick 15 or 20 gal stainless. But probably not till I setup a brew room at the yet to be built cabin.

I don't have a black oxidized layer. Mine is only grey so don't worry about your oxidized layer being light.

It's probalby oxidized by mere air exposure or the steam from your first oxidation boil. I don't think you necessarily have to see a thick black oxide layer for it to be oxidized. That's like pipe cake, it builds up over time.

In fact, you probably don't want the black oxide layer, as that is more likely to leach. Ideally, you get the slightly brownish oxide, which will stick to the pot better. Boiling just water in the pot will give you this . . . as will simply putting it in the oven at 250 for an hour or so.

In the long run, it shouldn't matter. Most expert opinions I've seen agree that you'll get exponentially more aluminum in your system by using common deodorants than by drinking or eating anything that came out of an aluminum pot.

In fact, you probably don't want the black oxide layer, as that is more likely to leach. Ideally, you get the slightly brownish oxide, which will stick to the pot better. Boiling just water in the pot will give you this . . . as will simply putting it in the oven at 250 for an hour or so.

In the long run, it shouldn't matter. Most expert opinions I've seen agree that you'll get exponentially more aluminum in your system by using common deodorants than by drinking or eating anything that came out of an aluminum pot.

The oven method was an epic fail for. Boiling water provided the oxide layer.

Also, aluminum is present in anti-perspirants, not deodorants.

Why would you need to use oxyclean or other deep cleaners on your brew pot? I just use hot water and a washcloth or papertowels. I got lazy after one brew and left the brew pot long enough to get some mold in it and hot water and just a tiny bit of soap took care of that. Also, why do people think SS lasts any longer than aluminum? A thick aluminum pot will last just as long as a SS one.

And, to the OP: if you're going to be doing 5 gallon batches with full boils I would get at least a 10 gallon pot. My preboil volume is 7.25 gallons for a 60 minute boil to leave 5.5 gallons in the kettle. I would definitely have uncontrollable and constant boilovers if I tried to do that in a 7.5 gallon pot.

why do people think SS lasts any longer than aluminum? A thick aluminum pot will last just as long as a SS one.

If you treat them with tender loving care. Kind of goes without saying, I guess - what homebrewer wouldn't?

Santa is bringing me that same $49 turkey fryer kit.

I think the problem would come if you tried to add a valve to it. think the torque from turning the handle on the valve would bend the crap out of the aluminum.

sure it would do the same to cheap, thin stainless

Back