Sommofab*tch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whattawort

Reaction score
My friends have done it again. My pipeline is almost dry and I'm not the cause! What's in my fermenter is only a half batch (read as MINE)and I have an old ale on deck, but it's gonna take a while for that one to be ready. I'm too nice I guess. They're gonna have to start paying for the ingredients and bottles. I should charge them $1 for every beer they drink without my knowledge. I keep count of my inventory.

Anyone else have beer freeloaders?

They're good friends otherwise, but the beer closet is going to be under lock and key from now on. Might work out a trade deal. Bring a 6 and I'll trade 1 homebrew for whatever you bring...if I like it.

I've enjoyed sharing my beer with friends and some brew and share with me but with my 3 tap kegerator and normally, all 3 working at the same time, it's been tough brewing every 2 weeks. It takes me about 5 hours from start to finish (cleanup) and though I enjoy it, I'm thinking of doing some extract w/ partial grains to save some time but of course, it costs more.
Football season is killing me and I feel bad asking for payment but I think I may try to put a donation jar next to the tap and see what kind of comments I get.

Everyone has homebrew freeloaders. They figure since you brew it yourself that taking a homebrew is just as simple as taking a free water from you...and they don't feel the need to replace the brews they drink with some microbrews they bring you!

I had a buddy that would bring over Tacate Light, put it in the fridge, then proceed to drink my homebrew. After repeated requests, he finally stopped drinking the home brew after I pulled the glass out of his hand.

He brought over SNPA on his next visit and bitched about the cost. He won't chip in on a batch so now he just drinks his Ta-crapay.

I had a buddy that would bring over Tacate Light, put it in the fridge, then proceed to drink my homebrew. After repeated requests, he finally stopped drinking the home brew after I pulled the glass out of his hand.

He brought over SNPA on his next visit and bitched about the cost. He won't chip in on a batch so now he just drinks his Ta-crapay.

Wow, that's worse than doing just the minimum to skate by. At least my friends will bring Sam Adams at the very least if they do bring beer with them.

Beer-lord said:
I've enjoyed sharing my beer with friends and some brew and share with me but with my 3 tap kegerator and normally, all 3 working at the same time, it's been tough brewing every 2 weeks. It takes me about 5 hours from start to finish (cleanup) and though I enjoy it, I'm thinking of doing some extract w/ partial grains to save some time but of course, it costs more.
Football season is killing me and I feel bad asking for payment but I think I may try to put a donation jar next to the tap and see what kind of comments I get.

I have a tip jar on the top of my keezer but it's only made $15 in a year or so. I try to get my friends to buy pizza or wings to compensate for the beer they drink. I also have a couple friends who will do yard work for beer.

Imo,freeloaders aren't friends. They're just cheapskates looking for free beer. Glad I don't have that problem.

Imo,freeloaders aren't friends. They're just cheapskates looking for free beer. Glad I don't have that problem.

These guys are good people with the exception of the beer pilfering. They just need to be educated a little more. Just because I have beer on hand doesn't mean it's free game. I'm just glad I have the older stuff stashed away in another room.

Idk,to me good folks don't take advantage of friends like that. I don't go into another man's fridge without asking first. Or wait till/if another round is offered. So yes,do educate them. Tactfully.

Idk,to me good folks don't take advantage of friends like that. I don't go into another man's fridge without asking first. Or wait till/if another round is offered. So yes,do educate them. Tactfully.

I don't know. It depends on the friendship in my opinion. I have a few friends that I don't hesitate to go just get something out of the fridge and they do the same with me. That is only a few people though.

Partly. We have a lot of upper middle class yuppies around here I def can't financially keep up with. Mostly because all my family & friends are scattered to the four winds.

Partly. We have a lot of upper middle class yuppies around here I def can't financially keep up with. Mostly because all my family & friends are scattered to the four winds.

Just fvckin' with you. I don't keep many friends. Too much else going on in life to keep up with all of it. And the few times we do have a group of people at the house it's for an open house celebration and they don't drink.

OP- change which house the 'event' is at and then BRING beer instead of hosting and having yours raided. This is what I do.

Unfortunately, I have the biggest house so no one else can host the football parties comfortably. We tried that and we were all pretty miserable. I just started thread to complain and see who else out there has a similar problem. I'll fix their buckets.

I previously had a similar problem. I have many friends but one best friend that I've had since we were kids. He knew I always had good beer in the fridge, so he would raid it when he came over. But when I'd go to his house or he'd bring beer over it was always something like Coors, milwaukee's worst, icehouse, or something equally crappy. But then he would want to drink my homebrew or expensive craft brew. He has since converted to better beer and is now willing to pitch in for ingredients when he wants homebrew. So now I can't complain.

Don't really have this problem myself either.

First, the friends I really hang around with right now, I'd literally follow into the bowels of hell - we're all members of the same fire department. The cost of a few beers is nothing when you wouldn't think twice about putting your life in the other guys hands.

Second, most of the time when we get together it's BYOB, mainly because everyone is pretty hard-core set in their brand. Couple of them will only drink Coors heavy, couple Bud heavy, few bud light. I'll usually bring a craft and declare it free for the taking if anyone wants to try it - usually will get a few takers, but not to the point that I don't have enough for myself.

OP- other option - talk up homebrewing (I do this a lot) and a few of the currious will want to join you some time. You might get them hooked. I've done that with my friends, got 3 of them to start brewing. Granted they all were leaning towards that idea before hand, but knowing someone who does it pushed them over the edge (or over the edge quicker)

OP- other option - talk up homebrewing (I do this a lot) and a few of the currious will want to join you some time. You might get them hooked. I've done that with my friends, got 3 of them to start brewing. Granted they all were leaning towards that idea before hand, but knowing someone who does it pushed them over the edge (or over the edge quicker)

Got 2 of them coming over for a brew day tomorrow. Let's hope they "get it". I already told them it will be mid-late Nov before this one will be ready. So, no they won't get to drink it when we're done.

If I were with a group of people and we were counting who drank what of whose and getting bothered about it, I would not count that group as friends.

Maybe it's that my best friend I've had for now well over half my life. Of my other few friends, I've trusted two to live in our house while we were out of state. Friend and someone I'm friendly to are different.

Latest posts

Back