Stupid People Behind Telephones!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
So I applied to California State University Long Beach back in April for their Single Subject Teaching Credential Program in Music figuring that classes would start in the fall. They sent me a letter saying that I was accepted and that I could enroll for classes. When I looked at the class schedule, I didn't find any of the first classes I needed to take, only the ones that need the first prerequisites. Being curious I checked the previous spring class schedule, low and behold, I find the classes I need to take! The Music Single Subject program doesn't start until the spring! Nobody told me that!

Fast forward to this week. I'm now trying to enroll in my class that do start in the spring. All enrollment is online, but all I can get is the Fall 06 schedule. I call up Enrollment services and ask them what's up. They tell me my enrollment status has been pulled.

Why? I ask

Because you needed to take your classes in the fall.

But there were no classes for me to take in the fall.

You need to take classes in the semester you enrolled.

When I enrolled nobody told me the program doesn't start until spring.

Well please talk to ____ in this office. They might be able to help you.

Ring....

Voicemail!

No one sent me a letter saying I would need to re-enroll for the spring, or that the classes I needed even started in the spring. So now I'm waiting to get a call back from some other person behind a phone. I don't know what's going to happen because the deadline for applications for the spring is past already. Hopefully they can just reverse my status, but I know I'm going to have to go down there in person and go through this while ordeal a few times before it gets straightened out. :mad:

Well I'm leaving in a few minutes to go yell at them in person :mad:.

Wish me luck...

Good thing there will be plenty of beer at home when I get back.

Good luck, dealing with colleges is a nightmare.

Ok, I'm not so pissed off now. I went down and talked to the College of
Education, who quickly referred me to Enrollment Services (ie. Bureaucracy Hell). I explained my situation to them and was basically told that I could re-enroll in the program for the next time (Spring 08). I asked if ther was any petition that I could fill out, which she gave me one.

I took all of this info back to the College of Education, and was told to speak with one of the heads of the department, who was right across the hall. I spoke with her and explained my situation, who then quickly checked to see the availability in the program. There were still 6 openings, so she wrote my name down as a possible hold for the spot. She also explained I could take the initial courses this semester by extension, that way I can get them out of the way and not have to start fresh in 08, and then officially apply to the university for fall 07.

As of right now, I'm taking both options. I'm going to start the petition process, and the department will add a letter of support to it. If that doesn't go through, I can still start classes on Jan. 29 by extension.

I've got to say, I LOVE the way they run my master's program. Every single question I've has has been answered quickly and correctly. I got charged a late fee for being a day late and fully expected a fight. The Bursar credited my account while I was on the phone.

Not all colleges are that tough to deal with.

Is it a big public university or a smaller private one? I did my undergrad work at a smaller private university, and everyone at just about every office was completely helpful. I haven't even attended a class yet at CSULB and I've gotten the run-around several times.

"Go to ___ office"

"You can do that online"

Great, thanks...

It's a smaller catholic university. I finished my undergrad there at night. Nothing but positive experiences. It's Lewis University in Romeoville, Ill

Well then my undergrad wasn't much different!

Azusa Pacific University, private non-denominational Christian school, Azusa, CA.

Latest posts

Back