golden promise pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defenestrate

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i've wanted to try GP for a long time, and i wanted to do another pale for the end of summer. how do you think this will work?
i was thinking that the victory and honey malt might compliment each other for a sweet/bready character...i've never used either so i'm really not sure of how much to use...i've read that honey is some strong stuff.

10# GP
victory 12 oz
honey malt 4 oz

willamette 1.5 oz @ 60
"" .5 oz at 15

wlp060

og 1055, ibu 32

well, i ordered it anyways along with my grist for a mild that i was inspired to try after staring at the pictures and reading the article in BYO...

i ended up going with US-05 in the GP brew instead of the white labs.

no opinions, huh?

I've never used it. It's Scottish Maris Otter, right?

yeah i suppose, i dont really know any difference. i just got bored using american 2 row and i've used MO. i'm more curious how the honey and victory are going to work out...

I did a brew with 12 oz of Victory and I'd not do that again. Half a pound works nicely for my taste. Let us know how it turned out.

I did a brew with 12 oz of Victory and I'd not do that again. Half a pound works nicely for my taste. Let us know how it turned out.
what didnt you like about it? i've never used it so i dont know what "too much" tastes like

i use 2# of honey malt in my honey pale ale. it is amazing. not overpowering at all.

interesting...well i guess this will be a good gauge for me to see how much i need to come through with honey flavor

You could use Golden Promise as the base for just about every beer style there is. It is very malty and rich but light and clean enough to be used in even most lagers. If I were forced to use one base malt for all my beers this would be it.

I just used it for an IPA instead of my normal Optic or Marris Otter. If you taste it "raw" there is quite a flavor difference. The GP reminds me of the cereal Grape Nuts, while the O and MO taste very bready. I've only drank one batch brewed with GP so far, and that one was very hop forward so it hid much of the malt character. I've got a Mild I brewed with GP that is next to go into the fridge. I'm looking forward to getting a real feel for the taste of GP

Latest posts

Back