porter cable air compressor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
a friend was throwing out a 6 gallon porter cable air compressor cause it wasnt working so i took it home thinking i could fix it, only problem is i dont know anything about compressors. i took it apart the piston turns very well, to me it seems like its not getting any power. does anyone know anything about these things?

When you turn it on nothing happens?? Did you check for a reset/fuse on the electrical side? If it's just not putting air into the tank, it could be the valve(s) that come off the piston need to be replaced. I fixed up an old Craftsman compressor ages ago, giving it a bit longer to live. Personally, I wouldn't spend too much money on it. With what you can buy a decent one for these days, it's not worth it. If you can fix it up for <$20 then go for it.

Oh, and look on the PC site for the manual and parts diagrams. Those are usually a good place to start when trouble-shooting.

when i turn it on nothing happens at all, thats why i think it just not getting power. i dont plan to spend much on it, i think they are about 150 brand new. im gonna see if i can find the manual on the pc site, maybe i can find some info in the trouble shooting section.

If it's an oil lubed compressor, check for a reset button. Also, make sure it's in an area that's at least 40F or it won't run well (if at all).

when i turn it on nothing happens at all, thats why i think it just not getting power. i dont plan to spend much on it, i think they are about 150 brand new. im gonna see if i can find the manual on the pc site, maybe i can find some info in the trouble shooting section.

Probably the pressure switch cut-off? These things are made to run when the pressure is say under 90 PSI and turn onff at around 120-140PSI. Try bypassing the pressure switch (be careful not to shock yourself) and see if you can get it to turn.

MC

Why don't you find what model it is and look up the owners manual or post some pics. If you want help you will need to be more specific and post pics or at least give us the model number.

Without more details I would have to go with my gut and say the flux capacitor went out. Can you get it to 88 mph?

Completely silent, nothing happens at all

Do you have any electrical testing tools? I would check to see if there is connectivity or current at the end of the power cord and across the power switch. In addition to the suggestions other have suggested.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it has been unplugged a few too many times by the cord and the connections are now bad.

Could be a few things. I'd check the pressure switch first. Maybe try jumping the switch and powering the motor manually. If it still doesn't run, you may have a burned out motor (not really worth repairing) or a bad wire going to the motor. I don't know what wiring you have, so that may or may not be a possibility.

My small compressor quit building pressure and since I also own a 60 gallon standing unit, I just salvaged the motor and switch from it for future projects.

Back