Coffee Porter not taking carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brycelarson

Reaction score
It's the strangest thing. I've been kegging for about a year - and I feel like I know what I'm doing just fine. I racked a coffee porter into the keg three weeks ago and hit it with 12psi. My keezer is set to 38-40 deg and so I figured I was aiming for 2.5 vols of CO2 - which is a bit high for most porters that I do but I wanted this one a bit on the fizzy side.

There's carb in the beer - but vastly less than I expected - as in zero head and only minimal rising bubbles. I don't know what's going on. Is the coffee killing the head on the beer?

I just don't get it.

How did you brew the coffee? Cold brewed is preferred. Hot brew extracts oils from the beans that can affect head retention.

Also, are you sure there isn't a pinhole leak somewhere in your system?

You can always shake and taste till you get it right.

How did you brew the coffee? Cold brewed is preferred. Hot brew extracts oils from the beans that can affect head retention.

Also, are you sure there isn't a pinhole leak somewhere in your system?

You can always shake and taste till you get it right.

cold brew. the rest of the kegs in my system are fine.

no leaks - the tanks last appropriate lengths of time. I checked the porter keg for leaks when it wasn't carbing like I expected - didn't find anything.

ok, more info. I mis-poured a glass with breakfast this morning. Ran the tap half open. Giant, creamy head on that glass. It cascaded like a nitro beer.

I just don't get it - the CO2 is present but something is holding it in suspension. weird. Oh well, I guess I just have to pour this one wrong to get it right.

I had a batch of graff kegged that seemed like it would never carb up. It took about a month and a half or more to properly carbonate. No idea why though. I think with time yours will work out just fine.

What is the abv? I recently brewed a Irish ale that took at least a month to carb, it was about 8%. What is the temp of the area where you are letting it carb? Somewhere around 70 degrees is good. I store mine near a furnace.

Back