Jockey Box; coil or plate chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wadefisher

Brew Meister
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Going to make a jockey box.
I'm debating on using a stainless steel coil versus a plate chiller.
Looking for input.

Not so concerned about price difference. I'm more concerned about implementation and usefulness.

Whats your thoughts?

I bought a 5 pass cold plate off the classified section and was thrilled with the results. I was initially concerned with chilling, but it worked like a dream.

ForumRunner_20120128_150427.jpg

ForumRunner_20120128_150443.jpg

One thing that I did was lift the plate off the bottom of the cooler to keep it out of the melt water.

I like it. Coils supposedly give you better cooling, but I'm not pouring 10 beers in a row. I did pour 3 and didn't have any issue. Also, I used an Igloo Extreme cooler. 22Lb of ice kept for 3 days. Good luck.

I have a jockey box with a plate chiller & like it a lot.

During the summer, we have the ball team over after games, and it cools a 5 gallon keg completely, even having a fair bit of left the next day.

The liquor store I work part-time at caters beverages for weddings/corporate events and such. We have 15 jocky boxen all with either single or double pass plates. We never have a problem drawing beer after beer all night long. We do ice the kegs as well though. One thing to keep in mind, after you have cleaned and rinsed the lines running through the plate after using it, the next time you use it make sure you get beer running through it before you ice the plate, otherwise you run the risk of freezing the rinse water in the plate lines.

Latest posts

Back