Expired Brewhouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-rad

Reaction score
I just finished starting a batch of Brewhouse Honey Blonde.. Once I was done (of course) I noticed that the date on the box was september 2007.. I checked their website and they say ideal shelf life is 9 months.. Im am more annoyed at my LHBS then I am worried about a bad batch.. but just thought Id check if anyone else made any that were this old..

cheers!

B-rad

After you mentioned this, i checked my winterfest, and i think it may be expired as well...i'll need to double check again though..:mad:

I had the same problem. I called the people at Brewhouse & they said if the supplier won't replace the kit they would. I talked to my LHBS & they ordered a new one right away.

just an update... Brew is all finished.. not the greatest.. I dunno its not bad.. well it was a honey blonde and I cant taste any honey really.. Its still better than a budweiser for sure but not as good as I hoped.. I find the brewhouse kits I make all taste similar.. I never checked the date on any kits before this but maybe they were all expired and I never knew..

Im still fairly new to homebrewing too so Im wondering if the reason they all taste the same is because they all come with coopers yeast... I really dont know enough about yeast to know if this makes a difference..

All i know for sure is that I like the festa brew kits 100% more than the brewhouse.....

Here in Antigonish a fellow returned a Brewhouse kit to my LHBS that didn't carbonate enough and they replaced it free of charge. I imagine they'd do the same at your place. As far as expired brews go, I just brewed a Coopers Brewmaster selection Pilsner that was about a year out of date and it turned out just fine, so it depends I guess.
I do like the Brewhouse kits, I find they're superior to the canned extract kits, while still not being near as good as an A.G. batch. Have you tried the Brewhouse IPA? I've made it twice and it's been spot on both times.

Best,

~ATG

ahhhh antigonish... my best friend who I was in a band with for years just transferred from there from the RCMP...

anywho.. I called the brewhouse company and they said that they should replace it.. I called my LHBS and he said it will be fine.. and well.. he wouldnt replace it.. instead of making a big deal I just switched LHBS's.. I gave that guy alot of business and I figure it is his loss...

Im telling you though.. try a festa brew kit.. youll never buy another brewhouse

So I have the Canadian Lager Brewhouse kit, packaged on Sept. 2010. Almost 3 years ago now. Almost guaranteed to be expired/spoiled? What is more of a concern, the wort or the yeast for expiration? Cause I can buy more yeast. I don't mind spending a bit of cash to salavge this kit as I got it for free. Any suggestions on anything I can do?

My advice to any future brewing. Stay away from commercial boxed kits if you can. There is no telling how long they sit in a warehouse before sitting on the shelf of your LHBS.

The manufacturing date is stamped on it. I can see myself when it is expired. It is expired, but as I said, I got the kit for free so I was just wondering if there's anything I can do with 3 year old wort to salvage it.

The manufacturing date is stamped on it. I can see myself when it is expired. It is expired, but as I said, I got the kit for free so I was just wondering if there's anything I can do with 3 year old wort to salvage it.

For free I would brew it and not expect much. If there are hops in the kit I would get fresh ones. New yeast also. That said I would not invest any $$ to brew it so - as is, or trash it!

If I paid for it and the LHBS would not replace it I would NEVER shop there again and I would make sure they knew that. I would also let them know that if I found any online rating places they would get a negative report.

They really shouldn't have any stock nearly that old and they should replace the kit, no questions asked!

Latest posts

Back