Plugging the keg in on Wednesday, couple more quick questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Get the last and final pieces for my kegging setup on Wednesday, pick up a fridge today. So, I will be plugging into my APA, but I really want to enjoy my other 3 kegs as well. Does it effect the beer if I have it plugged in and force-carbing, then unplugged and do the same to another keg? Does the carbonation fade? Can I switch the co2 and the faucet up between kegs, even before they are empty? I want to get a multiple keg setup, but I just don't have the cash right now, maybe in a few weeks.

If you take a keg you are force carbing off the gas before it has carbed up, it will just slow the process down. Once everything is at the CO2 level you want, you can take it off gas and it should maintain that CO2 level indefinitely (provided you don't have a leaky keg). Should you draw a pint off without having it hooked up to gas, you will slowly lessen the carbonation in the beer as the CO2 will will come out of solution to make up the additional head space in the keg. Probably not very noticeable with just one pint on a nearly full keg, but very noticeable if you are half way down the keg.
Also remember that CO2 is absorberd quicker if the beer is cold.

I would suggest getting a couple of tee's to put in your gas line, a little extra gas line, and gas disconnects and you can hook up however many kegs you can fit in your fridge. They will all be on gas and you can just move the out line to which ever you feel like drinking.

Reverend JC said:
Pulg and unplug away my friend.

I do it all the time when force carbing.

Sweet! Just what I wanted to know!

jdoiv said:
If you take a keg you are force carbing off the gas before it has carbed up, it will just slow the process down. Once everything is at the CO2 level you want, you can take it off gas and it should maintain that CO2 level indefinitely (provided you don't have a leaky keg). Should you draw a pint off without having it hooked up to gas, you will slowly lessen the carbonation in the beer as the CO2 will will come out of solution to make up the additional head space in the keg. Probably not very noticeable with just one pint on a nearly full keg, but very noticeable if you are half way down the keg.
Also remember that CO2 is absorberd quicker if the beer is cold.

I would suggest getting a couple of tee's to put in your gas line, a little extra gas line, and gas disconnects and you can hook up however many kegs you can fit in your fridge. They will all be on gas and you can just move the out line to which ever you feel like drinking.

WHat I'll probably do is work two at a time, keep them both in the fridge and just switch out the gas when I want to pull a pint off another :D

Yaye!! :ban:

when i only had one tap i would keep a keg full of water, that way when i switched kegs i could stick it on the water flush out the old beer in the line then hook it up to the keg i wanted to drink.

i always keep my gas off had a keg leak once and came home to an empty co2 tank! so i just turn the shut off valves off and about once a day or so turn them back on to see if the kegs used any co2. works out good :)

seefresh said:
WHat I'll probably do is work two at a time, keep them both in the fridge and just switch out the gas when I want to pull a pint off another :D

That works too...

I have two in my fridge with picnic taps on each keg and a y-splitter coming off the regulator. Setting up picnic taps is super easy and cheap.

seefresh said:

That works too...

I have two in my fridge with picnic taps on each keg and a y-splitter coming off the regulator. Setting up picnic taps is super easy and cheap.

BierMuncher said:
I moved connections around before I got enough taps and lines to accommodate my kegs. No biggy.

How many kegs does you fridge hold?

Right now 1, but if I can gut some of these wierd things I will fit two. I need it to fit too, I just hope I don't break the fridge while I'm workiing on it. We'lllll seeeee.

I carb 6 kegs at one time using one stainless Tee and two stainless Crosses. Tee, Crosses, & clamps came to about 20 bucks. The Red arrows point to them.

6KegsOnGas.jpg

I can do half the kegs in the freezer this way.

+keg disconnects and tubing would put me over a $40 budget... I'll be upgrading in a couple weeks, but if I spend another dollar on brewing equipment anytime real soon, my wife's gonna $### a brick.

seefresh said:
+keg disconnects and tubing would put me over a $40 budget... I'll be upgrading in a couple weeks, but if I spend another dollar on brewing equipment anytime real soon, my wife's gonna $### a brick.

3 ball lock gas connectors $15
1 Stainless Cross $5
8 stainless worm clamps $3.52 (Lowes 2 for 88 cents)

That still leaves over $16 for tubing which you can get at Lowes too.

EdWort said:
3 ball lock gas connectors $15
1 Stainless Cross $5
8 stainless worm clamps $3.52 (Lowes 2 for 88 cents)

That still leaves over $16 for tubing which you can get at Lowes too.

Ed, you gotta stop or I"m going to Lowes right now! :D

Back