Metallic taste? AHBS "buget stout" bottled 3 weeks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jnco_hippie

Reaction score
Ok....
Ordered a kit from Austin homebrew supply about 6 weeks ago. Mini mash. 9 days in primary, 9 days in secondary, three weeks in bottles naturally carbonating.

Here's how it went down:
Used tap water. Tested at 7.8 on ph.
Used a ceramic coated pot for mashing, no cracks on enamel.
Mashed a little hot, I think. But was following the kit instructions exactly (no temps listed)
Wort tasted fine.
Tasted thin, but ok out of primary headed into secondary.
Very little oxygen exposure.
Bottled, set in kitchen cabinet for 3 weeks.
Tasted two today, after 26 hours in refrigerator.

Tast what I think I would describe as metallic. Could be a solvent flavor, but I think it is best described as metal.

What is this? Can it be fixed?
Will months or a year in bottle fix it?

Is your tap water chlorinated? If so it could be chlorophenols.

Or it could just need some more conditioning. I get a metallic/soy flavor out of a lot of stouts if they're too fresh.

What kind of yeast?

WLP002 ENGLISH ALE, by White Labs.

I think maybe our water is chlorinated? not completly sure. it's public water supply in Amarillo Texas.

If it is chlorinated, will it age out, or is it a permanent flavor?

From the information you have supply on the post i would guess that the cause has something to do with your water profile and its reaction to the roasted grains. However I would advise that you give us a call so that we can troubleshoot the issue and assist you in fixing or avoiding the problem in future batches.

Feel free to call us with any issues. We have a full time staff ready to troubleshoot any issues that you have.

512-300-2739
[email protected]
Thank you for choosing Austin Homebrew Supply.

That is pretty awesome customer service, hehe. I get a slight metallic taste out of a lot of stouts and porters these days. One time I noticed it in my own because I am always critical of my own work, then I started tasting it in a lot of others...bummer.

So, assuming it is my water, what do I need to do?

As for all the 200 bottles I already have going (not all bottled as of yet) what can I do?

So, assuming it is my water, what do I need to do?

As for all the 200 bottles I already have going (not all bottled as of yet) what can I do?

You'll need to get a water report and then decide what adjustments need to be made (or potentially start with RO water and build your own). As far as the bottles you have going, you need to wait it out and see what happens. What's done is done. Best you can hope for is those recipes didn't interact poorly with your water chemistry and fix it for future batches.

Our water report

image.jpg

image-1106200709.jpg

Page two of report.

I don't exactly know what that means as far as an effect on my beer, but nothing looks crazy high to me.

Thoughts, anyone?

That report has old data from 2011 for one thing, but I would be looking for other things like Calcium, hardness, phosphates and Ph levels not listed.

Latest posts

Back