Reducing Fermentation Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaz9090

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to start homebrew (the method where I use extract and add my own hops), the only problem is I will be in a 2 bedroom flat with my soon to be wife. In the past when I homebrewed with housemates she has visited and noticed the smell. I am wondering what can be done to reduce the smell during fermentation. I am aware that boiling the extract and adding the hops can be a bit smelly but if I do it while she is out and open windows/use extractor fan it shouldn't be an issue (It shouldn't be as steamy as AG? I've heard people say it has stripped their wallpaper!). The problem is she will be studying in the second bedroom and I don't really want her to be distracted by the fumes (that is where I was going to put it, in a wardrobe possibly). Any thoughts on reducing the smell during fermentation?

Thanks James

Welcome to the forum James. I would suggest trying a blow off tube set into a sealed container of liquid. Then install an output hose from the sealed container to the bottom of container of activated charcoal.

Or, set a blow off tube long enough to reach outside into a bucket of starsan to make it simple lol. But that would be unattainable. Or just buy a chest freezer with a temp control to ferment in. then all the smell stays in that.

Its only CO2. The smell should mostly stay in the wardrobe until you open the door. I'd put some live flowers in the room. The added CO2 in the air will make the plants happy, and put out their own odor that she'll enjoy. Win/win. She gets flowers and your beer makes her flowers happy which will make her happy which means you can brew more beer..... is there anything beer can't do? Also, a candle or two for her to light when she will be in there studying will help too.

iron_city_ap said:
Its only CO2. The smell should mostly stay in the wardrobe until you open the door. I'd put some live flowers in the room. The added CO2 in the air will make the plants happy, and put out their own odor that she'll enjoy. Win/win. She gets flowers and your beer makes her flowers happy which will make her happy which means you can brew more beer..... is there anything beer can't do?

No there isn't anything. Beer is perfect.

Back