RIMS install

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrim

Reaction score
I'm going to add a RIMS system to my brew set-up. I plan to use a PID as the brains of my operation. Do I need a SSR and a therm o-coupler, or will it work without an SSR? Also will I be able run the PID, heat stick and march pump through one outlet without overloading the outlet? If so, what is the best way to hook these in together? Thanks for the help guys.

You will need an ssr and either a thermocouple or rtd probe... I recommend the rtd.

Whether they can both be run off one outlet depends on the wire feeding the outlet and how big the rims and heat stick elements are. How big are the elements, and how big is the circuit breaker?

The outlet is 120v through a 15A breaker. I am going to use a small heat stick, I still need to find an appropriate one, because I will still use propane for my boil and to heat my strike water.

I can't remember what the pump pulls, but call it two amps for safety. That leaves you 13 amps, or 1560 watts to work with. My rims is 1125 watts and works pretty well. For a heat stick to be useful, I'd say you want at least 1500w, so I wouldn't run them together.

Back