Wort questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Han_Solo

Reaction score
After my OG reading was a 1.136 I realized I didn't mix the wort together with the water as well as I should have. You can even see two distinct shades of brown when looking at the fermenter (dark on the bottom, light on top).

It was reassuring to see a number of threads stating the beer should be fine, but I am just curious as to how it all works out in the end. Will the quality be affected? Will the beer be thoroughly mixed by the end of fermentation? Will the fermentation be affected by having the sugars so unevenly distributed? Can anything be done to help mix it once fermentation has began?

For the record I brewed the Belgian Golden Strong from Brewing Classic Styles. I used slightly more malt than the recipe calls for and used 2 liquid yeast packages rather than 3. The wort was aerated and there is airlock activity.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

Once the yeast start working you will see the wort churn and swirl. (That is if you are using a carboy or Better Bottle.) It will mix thoroughly and ferment out just fine.

Just leave it be and everything should be good.

the yeast have been doing this way longer than any of us, they know what to do

they do the work, we are merely the facilitators

sure would be nice if they helped tidy up after a brew day, though

Back