Where to brew??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamNorfolk1982

Reaction score
Am new to wine making and was wondering where i should keep fermenting bucket to start with..is it ok to keep it in a shed outside??/ or is this too cold?? When it comes to transfering to demijohns/carbouys can i keep them in a dark cupboard at room temp?? any help on this would be great

Nope--it'd freeze solid...

Obviously it depends on your temperature--much below 58F and your yeasty minions will be thinking more about hibernation than producing alcohol. Sounds like you have the right idea, otherwise.

Good Luck :mug:

SamNorfolk1982 said:
Am new to wine making and was wondering where i should keep fermenting bucket to start with..is it ok to keep it in a shed outside??/ or is this too cold?? When it comes to transfering to demijohns/carbouys can i keep them in a dark cupboard at room temp?? any help on this would be great

Anywhere it will stay above 60 deg F during fermentation. Keep it away from kitchens, the temp swings too much.

After fermentation is done, cold storage is ok. (Probably good for cold stabilization.)

Primary can be just about anywhere, but you'll want the temp fairly consistant. Kitchen, living room, coat closet are usually areas to stay away from. Spare bedroom or den are good. Secondary should be somewhere quiet, dark is preferred. I use the back corner of my master closet on the floor. It's the furthest from the garage (water heater, A/C, etc) is dark 95% of the time (I wrap old towels around them anyway), and the SWMBO didn't know they were there till I told her 3mos later!!!

i dont have much spare space in my home, i have a large downstairs toilet which is where it is going to have to go..it does get slightly cooler in there but not cold but was thinking that i could maybe wrap some insulation around the fermenting bucket, to help keep it consistent

Back