Halfdans viking mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A recipe that seems to be very dated in suggested method, technique, etc.

I don't ever heat honey or must for mead making, you lose to much flavour, aromatics, etc.

The rest is just too generic. All the "add X if desired/optional" stuff is rather foolish as it alludes to many different types/styles of meads.

It seems that it's rather "tongue in cheek" and with the "spotted newt tail" line, not meant to be taken seriously.....

I'd have thought that it's more of what some nut "thinks" that vikings might have brewed after too much influence from Hollywood. They didn't have most of the ingredients then, certainly not the yeast or spices.....

And yes, trying to cut and paste with a phone is a big PITA.....

I spoke with my gf about it earlier and she alluded that it was something that witches used I stories etc...
I feel a little foolish even asking now......

The vikings did a lot of trading with the Byzantine empire so any spices found in southern europe, the near east and middle east would have been possible. There are very few (i am only aware of one Danish recipe book from the Viking era) cookbooks. Really, I am not sure how far off Halfdan's recipe is in terms of authenticity. Most if not all of the ingredients would have been available to them- if not the average farmer, certainly those with a little wealth.

Latest posts

Back