Strange technique used in Rochefort clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingfan13

Reaction score
My mother in law bought me the book Clone Brews and I decided to give their Rochefort 8 clone a try. The directions say that 3 days before bottling to prime the beer with another dose of the same yeast strain and bottle when fermentation is complete.

This seems strange to me only because I have never seen this technique used before. Has anyone ever done this and what is the exact purpose of this technique ?

Not unusual at all for Belgian beers. If you have a chance get and read Brew Like a Monk. It goes into great detail about bottling with fresh yeast. They do it for flavor profile and to help carbonate the beers. The beers this is used for are usually bottle conditioned for some time. The fresh yeast helps that process.

Not unusual at all for Belgian beers. If you have a chance get and read Brew Like a Monk. It goes into great detail about bottling with fresh yeast. They do it for flavor profile and to help carbonate the beers. The beers this is used for are usually bottle conditioned for some time. The fresh yeast helps that process.

Thanks for the info. This is my first Belgian so that would explain why I haven't run into it.

Appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back