Unintentional Sour Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
So I had a dirty bottle filler... ended up with quite a disgusting sour beer. So bad I almost dumped it. BUT... from advice from several here I didn't. I waited a few months and WOW! I have something quite nice... a few more months and it may be really something special. sour is mellowing nicely malt is starting to come back into play.

Just posting to say "let it ride" you may actually get something worthwhile from a BAD oops! .:ban:

recipe was a session english pale ale. nothing special. hit my SRM color target dead on (lol that's about it!)

strong strawberry notes are coming in to play now. served to a friend last night and he really liked it.

thinking about saving a bottle to culture up the bacteria and sour another batch...

I made a gluten free batch from only quinoa and amarath that is sour. I'm still waiting for age to have an affect on it, but I don't have high hopes.

I didn't have high hopes either! at it's worst it was AWFUL! I almost dumped it twice once before it went in the bottle, once about 45 days later.

But it's something really nice now. Not sure how much more it can improve from this point...

I just made two brett b beers... one a saison hit up with brett in secondary, and my version of "the muse"... all brett b. Granted sour mostly comes from lacto and other acetobacter.... they should still have quite a funky flavor! Def looking forward to NEXT YEAR (yes!) when they are done!

Back