When to expect bottle breakage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyWeiser

Reaction score
Hello,

I just bottled my second-ever batch of beer (Cooper's Wheat beer kit) last night using 1/2 tsp Karo Light Corn Syrup per 12 oz glass bottle. This is my first time using glass bottles. My hydrometer read the same 3 days in a row, so I felt the beer was safe to bottle.

I haven't had any breaks yet *knocks on wood* but was wondering if/when bottles will be breaking, does it normally happen right away, after a couple weeks or all along?

depends on how much fermentable sugar is in the beer and how warm the beer is kept. if you bottle at 1040 you can expect explosions pretty quick. if you add sugar to each bottle it seem like it would be harder than adding the sugar to the whole batch at once so you get uniform carbonation.

Yeah, priming one bottle at a time was tedious! I made it even more challenging by using 1/4 tsp measure, so it was two scoops of gooey syrup per bottle. I have no idea if I under primed or over primed any of the bottles. I did 48 bottles total. :eek:

Next time, try adding the total amount of priming sugar to the entire batch, and then bottle.

But to answer your question, if fermentation was finished prior to bottling, you won't have any bottle bombs for at least a week or two.

Back